home schooling in an RV

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
clemensrodgers

home schooling in an RV

Post by clemensrodgers » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Is anyone out there home schooling full time in an RV? We would like to start doing that in about a year and would like to find a Christian homeschooling group to connect with.

mamas4bugs

Re: home schooling in an RV

Post by mamas4bugs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:34 pm

We've done it twice, but not really "full time" as in we were in transition. Once, we spent 4 months on the beach living in our RV and schooled there, and then recently we spent 9 weeks in our RV while we were in the process of relocating. It has it's challenges, but it's also great fun! :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

BrooklynsMom03

Post by BrooklynsMom03 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:37 pm

This sounds like a fun adventure for sure! We think of it often but than I wonder if we are really the rv type since I am not a camper! lol...Beth
Married 25 yrs on June 14
Two sons Chad and Jared both have graduated from college
Blessed with daughter
Now...8 ....starting BHFHG Oct 1...
2nd year of home schooling...

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Would love to but never have ... please share with us when you can about your "adventures" :D !
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:37 pm

That was our dream a few years ago. We even sold our home and were living debt free while my husband tried to start up a business to allow us to travel but it didn't work out the way we planned. I will live vicariously through you if you do it and blog!
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Would love to do this! Please do post about how it goes!!!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

Daph

Post by Daph » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:13 am

I would love to do this; dh is not on board. LOL Our home isn't much bigger than an RV, so we have the lack of space part, just not the moving around part. :lol: I think it would be a lot of fun to take your home with you while you roam around the country! You could call yourselves travelers or nomads. :) I would totally incorporate that into my school name, if it were us. LOL
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 pm

My dh dreams of that too...but what would we do with our cats and dogs-right now the cats stay upstairs and the dogs down :lol: Maybe someday...
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:35 pm

We would really love to do this too. My dh's work is becoming more portable so we've thought about trying a month or two in the winter going out to Arizona for a visit and some vitamin D. :lol: I don't know if that will ever happen, but it is fun to dream about it.

A few years ago we watched a show on TLC or Discovery about a family that was homeschooling and traveling the country in their RV. I don't think there were very many episodes and the show wasn't what I had hoped, but I know there is at least one family out there that has attempted it. One thing you have to keep in mind if you are actually able to do this are the homeschool laws. They vary from state to state and I think many states require that you reside in that state for a certain amount of time in order to be homeschooling in their state. You would have to do some research to make sure that you are legal in your homeschooling wherever you are. If you do this, please keep us informed. Do a blog, a tv show, or something so we can all live vicariously through you! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Daph

Post by Daph » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Oh, I remember that show! Or the commercials for it, anyway. I never watched it, but I've heard that there's a large group of people who are doing this. I have a homeschool friend who's researched it for her own family. My dh travels a lot for his job, but he's only at a plant for a few weeks before he either comes home or goes somewhere else, so it wouldn't work so well for us. If we could do this, though, I'd not only rename our homeschool, "The Traveling Circus," but I'd also have a bumper sticker made that says, "Have homeschool, will travel."
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:47 pm

I just wanted to welcome you to the HOD Board, clemensrodgers! :D I am such a homebody that I have to say that homeschooling in an RV scares me half to death. :lol: BUT, white water rafting scared me too, and once I did it, I thought it was a blast. So, I think this could be a really neat adventure for a family, especially if both parents were excited about it. I can tell you one thing, I think HOD would be one of the easiest curriculums to do successfully in a small space that's mobile. I also think there would be a lot of neat tie-ins to what you'd be studying in history and science. :D Happy trails to you, and if you do it, I'd love to hear about it! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:24 pm

I want to pop in and say welcome, too! :D We have a dairy farm...not real likely that we're going to be traveling huh? :lol: We have toted our books out to the pasture for fun occasionally though on nice fall and spring days.

If we were going to school in an RV, I can guarantee that we'd stick with HOD. :wink: It has been SUCH a blessing to our family. We all love our school time!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:00 pm

Nope, I don't even have an RV. But if you do it, please set up a blog so I (and some of the rest of us dreamers) can follow you on your adventures! :lol:

clemensrodgers

Post by clemensrodgers » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Hey there! I had no idea you all were talking to me because I looked once and didn't see anything and never looked back till my friend told me she was following my thread ! My thread ? I knew I was unravelling but had no idea I had a thread trailing me ! So at last I've found you! While you all were contributing your thoughts, my husband and I have been scouring the earth for the perfect RV. Like some of you, we too are actually dreamers at this point, but we're definitely planning in that direction. In fact we're planning to leave Saturday to take our daughter to A Journey to The Heart (an amazing time of soul searching for teens/twenties) in the Northwoods of Michigan for 10 days. While she's there we're having our floors refinished in preparation for putting the house on the market. So we can't be in the house while they're working on the floors and we're using this time as an excuse to visit RV factories around Elkhart, IN. Our daughter, our last one, will be 14 this month. Our plan is to take her on the road for 1-3 months at a time, working it around soccer season so she can be home for that. We also need to tote a piano keyboard so she can practice, though that may be overkill. We will likely either rent or buy a very small house for a home base, at least as long as she's home. But none of you have given me any leads on a homeschooling RV group yet. So maybe we can start our own ! I'm looking for teens who love Jesus ! If nothing else we might just spend a few months in one place at a time in the Bible belt where she can make friends in a good church. Positive peer pressure is powerful and so vital. She has a few good friends here who she is not eager to leave, of course. All the more reason for us to search for some for her if we're going to try to live like a turtle on wheels. Well maybe just on wheels...

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:48 pm

"My thread ? I knew I was unravelling but had no idea I had a thread trailing me ! " :lol: :lol:
You made me smile today :D We dreamers would love to hear your adventures when you get there...I hope you find more homeschooling RV families too :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12