do I need to supplement singapore math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
carrielaurie

do I need to supplement singapore math

Post by carrielaurie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:01 am

My daughter will be starting 3rd grade this year and using the Bigger Hearts guide, along with Singapore 2A. We recently switched to Singapore Math in the last 6 months after pulling her out of her last school. She loves Singapore Math and I am so happy about that. However, I am nervous that we have not covered all the concepts we should have in grades K-2. She seems to have gaps. I recently glanced at both Saxon and Horizon guides and noticed she does not know many of the concepts that they had already covered. I don't want her to be behind. If I supplement, what should I use? I know Singapore has supplements that go along with their program do I just use those or should I supplement with Horizons/Saxon? If so, how would I do that?

MomtoJGJE

Re: do I need to supplement singapore math

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:14 am

What topics should she have covered that aren't in singapore math? I have no experience with another math program, so I really don't know how to help you without knowing that :) I haven't noticed anything but it being advanced.... so it would help me to know what you have noticed it's missing.

My oldest had her yearly testing right when she had finished 2A. She scored at the end of 3rd grade level on everything but how quickly she worked.

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:16 am

What topics are you concerned about? :D
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

carrielaurie

Post by carrielaurie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi! Thank you so much for responding to my cry for help. Ha Ha :D You guys are awesome!! I'm just worried about things like roman numerals, percents, rounding, estimating, and geometry? Will Singapore eventually cover those areas or did I miss it in earlier levels. It just seems like when I look at the Table of Contents for Saxon it covers every little concept. I just feel like I may have missed a bunch of things.

So is my daughter not behind if she is beginning Level 2A in third grade? I'm just confused.