Starting School Today!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
stawnasalas

Starting School Today!

Post by stawnasalas » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:09 am

Our first day (ever!) with homeschooling starts today! I am nervous! Ds (9) is doing Preparing and dd (6) is doing Beyond. I am second-guessing myself on placement now for some reason, hoping I didnt place them over their heads. Today I will just go over school rules, breaks, etc and do maybe one or 2 lessons and continue with adding Thurs. and Friday. Then we will try to start full-time on Monday. Please say a prayer for me, I really dont know what to expect!
Stawna
ds 9
dd 6
ds 4
ds 2
Stawna
Ds 12
Dd 9
Ds 7
Ds 5
Ds 2
Ds born Jan. 17, 2014

netpea

Re: Starting School Today!

Post by netpea » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:39 am

Have a great day!
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

LAB

Post by LAB » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:56 am

Have fun! I had planned to ease into it, but my girls wanted to keep going and do everything! I hope you have a great first day!
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:02 pm

Yippee! Welcome to HS'ing! Relax and enjoy the ride! :D
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Welcome to homeschooling and HOD! :)
It's a wonderful journey!! :D
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Praying for you to have a peaceful, joyful homeschooling journey! :D
Kristin

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm sure your day went great. I'll pray for you for the rest of the week as I'm sure you are done for the day today! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:32 pm

So excited for you! I'm sure you will do great!! Let us know how it went when you get a chance!
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

stawnasalas

Post by stawnasalas » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:58 am

It went ok yesterday, we did a few subjects. Dd did awesome and could have finished it all, but I wanted to stretch it out into today and tomorrow. Ds was excited about a few things (science, math, history), and not so much about others. I knew he would be a challenge, so I was prepared. Today is going ok too. I am not so nervous. We will start with everything on Monday, so I will prepare over the weekend for what dd can do on her own while I am helping ds and vice versa. I know that will take some tweaking. I am also figuring out waht they can do on their own and how much time things will take. I am hoping that I dont take too long to figure out a schedule, how long does that usually take? Its coming along! Lots of praying and that has really eased my mind! Thanks for the encouragement, it is so appreciated.
Stawna
Stawna
Ds 12
Dd 9
Ds 7
Ds 5
Ds 2
Ds born Jan. 17, 2014

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:18 am

Good luck to you !!! We started in January, you are going to love LHFHG and LHTH!!!! If you get overwhelmed time wise checkout the schedules post :D
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:05 am

Hi Stawna! I'm glad to hear things are off to a good start. In PHFHG, there starts to be T, S, and I indicators in the corner of each box of plans. I really rely on those to pick out what is "I", "independent", when setting up our days. That helps me see visually in a quick way what ds can do independently. Having him start with the "I" boxes, let's me start with my younger dc's schooling. Then, about the time my older ds does his "I" boxes, I'm done with about the left page of plans in the younger child's guide, and they can have a break to play or do something on their own, while I meet with my older ds. Anyway, I love those coded boxes, so I just had to share as I have enjoyed knowing what was planned to be done independently, and what's going to take more of me. We loved PHFHG and Beyond - such a fulfilling way to teach my dc. I hope you have a good week! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

off2workigo

Post by off2workigo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:19 am

The "coded boxes" are one of the things that drew me to Preparing. I felt like I did *everything* for or with my 10 y/o with the program we used last year. Yesterday, she was a bit confused that I would *not* do her independent work with her this year, but I felt completely comfortable saying "No." because I trusted Carrie knew what she was talking about. Once she realized I wasn't gonna be there WITH her, she did just fine. Looking forward to transitioning to more and more independent work time through Preparing, and into CTC and RTR.

(Though I will always have a read aloud through the elementary years. I'm a sucker for a good read aloud!)

-Rebecca