placement...maybe not HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
solagratia824

Re: placement...maybe not HOD?

Post by solagratia824 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:18 pm

I wonder if you can go full speed on the fine motor, math, and reading portions and do 1/2 speed for the story time/leaning through history portions? Like, do story time and bible study one day, and then the history reading and the rotating box another day. And do math, reading, and fine motor everyday. That can give her some time to grow into the readings. Or do everything half speed for awhile until she's ready?

My son was just barely 5 when we began, and he understands way more now than in the beginning. I think the Burgess books take some time to grow into, especially if kids aren't as experienced in life with "sneaky" characters, for instance.
Camden

Homeschooling mama to...
ds 1st (Beyond)
dd preschool (LHTH)

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Maybe 1/2 speed LHFHG then? ;-)

I have also seen someone here do half speed, but doing full right side 1/2 year the the other 1/2 doing 1st options...

Something to think on.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Your dd sounds a lot like one of my sons. He did LHFHG half-speed and midway through it did the Emerging Reader's Set with Beyond. That worked great for him! :D Then we finished it out full-speed. This worked great for my very early reader and writer! So, I would do LHFHG half-speed with your dd, but continue full-speed with her reading. :D Whenever she is ready to read the ERS, she can begin on those. I would give her ample time to grow into the Storytime and the History readings. :) I wouldn't rush Singapore. It starts off gentle but gets much more difficult down the road. No need to rush there. :wink: For Handwriting, I'd go slowly too, as you don't want to frustrate her. By going half-speed for between 1 1/2 to 2 years, you will have your dd appropriately placed (LHTH sounds too young for her), and she will be moving along nicely in skills without being pushed too hard. It will also set her up nicely to do Beyond. It's easy to go half-speed - many, many moms do so. :D There are lots of different ways to go half-speed, and here's a great thread where moms shared their half-speed plans - HTH!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5600&p=41232#p41232

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie