New Kid on the Block!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Re: New Kid on the Block!

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Welcome to the HOD Board! I have to say I just love your enthusiasm and heart for the Lord! :D I smiled the whole way through reading your posts. :) I thank God every day He is a part of our school at home, and I never realized how much I was missing that when I used to teach public school years back. HOD is such a blessing, in so very many ways. Beyond is a wonderful guide to begin your homeschooling journey with - such a neat guide to teach and one your dc are sure to enjoy! :D HOD is an extremely solid program academically, but it also keeps Christ at the center. My advice would be to consistently teach the academic parts of the guide, but first and foremost give your heart and soul to the Spiritual side of guide - share your faith at every opportunity it gives you to do so and don't rush it. If there is one thing to linger over in the guide, it's all of the parts Christ is in. The one thing that makes homeschooling with HOD even more of a joy for me than it would be otherwise, is having dc who are growing in their faith and learning to love the Lord more personally each day. It impacts the atmosphere of learning in our home immensely, in a good way, and while it doesn't fix all attitudes, it gets to the heart of them, and we work through our weaknesses together, coming out of them stronger individuals, and also a stronger family. :D We also celebrate our victories together, and love the happy days hearts for the Lord and cheerful attitudes provide. HOD gives us ample opportunity to share our love for the Lord, all we have to do is seize the moments, weather the storms with Him, and then reap the harvests. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Qtipper

Post by Qtipper » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:50 pm

@ Julie and Carrie ~ I just have to tell you, I am a South Dakota girl! I had to move to Arkansas to find out about HOD!!! Isn't that so like God?! And, not only am I a SD girl, I am a DELLS girl!! That's right, I lived just south of Dells (248th on Pine Circle)! Isn't that wild?! Oh, and I will be saying, "Howdy!" at the Mid-South Homeschoolers conference. Or, perhaps I'll bring out my long "O" sound and say, "HellOOO!" instead ;)

@ Tamara ~ Oh. My. Word. That is so exciting!! I am in Central Arkansas, too! I'll pm you. It will be so neat to reconnect.

@ Everyone else, thank you so much for the warm welcome! I just went to the library today to request a couple of books for the Biography portion. I have my schedule typed out, but I have labeled it "relaxed-subject to change-schedule". Because I am certain that nothing will go as planned the first week. What I DO know is that I am totally going to be on my knees. I figure it's better to start on them rather than be knocked down to them :D !

To GOD the Glory!

Blessings~
Qtipper
Qtipper
Wife to: QBear
Mommy to:
Son: K-Dog 6/6/02 - BLHFHG
Daughter: Lou Bear 6/24/04 - BLHFHG

My motto is:
"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~ "Oh Shoot, She's up!"

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:45 am

Hi QTipper, my daughter is here talking about "Mrs. QT," which is who I told her you were! Welcome to the boards; we're new ourselves!

I, too, come from schoolteaching and though God didn't allow me to leave this year, He is calling me not to return next year. Your story gives me added confidence not only to do what is right for me and my family, but also, most importantly, to do what He is calling me to do!!! Obedience is what He requires! WTG doing not just what He said, but when He said to!!!

Anyway, while God didn't grow my family through adoption, He has blessed us with two little ones later in life. And even though Sparky (DD) is in the school where I teach, we are even now using HOD at home! That is because Carrie has made it so easy to use!!! My kids LOVE it!!!

We are embarking on this journey with you. And yes, when God calls, He provides too, so I know you know this, but you can trust Him financially to provide for your every need. ;)
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:04 am

Welcome! I loved your post. :D I also have 4 children through adoption, two with some processing and or Lds. I wanted to answer your question. Not sure if this will apply to you being a teacher but for me the thing I wished I had learned was to not try to throw too much at it and stick to one thing consistently. I had pulled my children out of ps as well and there were so many holes in their learning I think I over killed it. I tried to throw too many things at once at the problem areas instead of taking a slow methodical pace which I think would have accomplished more. Other than that I wish I had started with HOD right from the start, but you have that part already. :D Welcome! You will love HOD!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Qtipper

Post by Qtipper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 pm

@Heidi ~ Let's stumble through this together!! It's funny, I can easily manage a classroom. In fact, I love it. But, I feel VERY insecure about teaching my own kiddos. But, like I said, I think God wants me on my knees!!! So, that's where I am staying. No better place :D My friends from another board call me QT, so your nickname made me smile.

@water2wine ~ THANKS! That is good stuff because I am worried about filling in the gap. Preferably, I will stand in it for my children instead ;)

Blessings~
Beck
Qtipper
Wife to: QBear
Mommy to:
Son: K-Dog 6/6/02 - BLHFHG
Daughter: Lou Bear 6/24/04 - BLHFHG

My motto is:
"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~ "Oh Shoot, She's up!"

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:13 pm

QT, your nickname's stuck for me! I'm with you...on our knees together... :)
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com