Disappointed with Singapore's introduction to long division

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Disappointed with Singapore's introduction to long division

Post by Carrie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:28 pm

This thread has taken a bit of a sideroad that I'll just pop on to address. Since we're using VT right now and have spent two years in the past with TT, in comparison we're finding that VT is very strong in the explaining the "why" behind the "how". I enjoy having a separate book of the the succinct lecture notes to refer to (in case I didn't have a chance to watch the VT presentation), and I love the VT answer key which gives a line by line solution for every problem in the program. In this way, my son and I can go through an error analysis process whenever he misses a problem to find exactly where he went wrong in any problem. We also enjoy the quiz feature each day which makes sure that we don't progress until my son understands the VT material. :D

When he was using TT 6 and then 7, the answer key only gave the answer (not a step-by-step solution), and while the solution was worked out on the TT CD, there were no notes for me to refer to without watching his entire lesson. I was really at a loss at times with figuring out how TT had presented the material, without watching the presentation. That made it very difficult for me to jump and help him. The lessons also just continued to move forward each day no matter how he did so that if he didn't understand something, I needed to catch him before he went on to the next lesson and then needed to make up my own problems to remediate. This is fine, but did do away with the ease of use of TT in that it really wasn't as independent as it is promoted to be. If you watch each TT lesson with the child and keep very close track of your child's work, then TT would likely work well. My son did very well in TT6 and 7, pretty much getting all A's, yet we found those levels to be behind in scope and sequence when compared to other programs at that same level. So, this is also a consideration. :D

We'll continue on with VT into next year and update you as we go to see if we are still enjoying the program. :D We do realize that there are many excellent math programs and that there will be varying opinions from families as to which works best for them. Each family may easily use what works best for their situation. However, since at HOD we're leaning in the VT direction and away from TT, I wanted to share our reasoning why.

Blessings,
Carrie