Well...had to drop Singapore...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyInTraining

Re: Well...had to drop Singapore...

Post by MommyInTraining » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Thank you all for sharing.

So, for those of you who do use Singapore do you find you need to supplement with additional drill work to cement the facts?

Thanks so much!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:38 pm

We use singapore, but my dd is somewhat of an exception, she loves doing math problems :D so she'll fill up the whiteboard almost daily with math problems. I did buy and extra practice book for her and she loves working out of that and doing that book has helped to cement her math facts but I don't emphasize knowing her facts as much as knowing how to figure out the answer. With all this repetition, she can usually give the correct answer when I ask her her math questions. When she can't, we whip out the counters and get to solving the problem. I hope this is of some help. BTW, the practice book I bought is from Frank Shaffer Publications and has a condensed version of the Singapore Math Method, this has really helped me with my teaching. This book is available from Amazon, I really like how it has helped me understand Singapore Math. :D
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:14 am

Terri - We did math flashcards one summer, but I don't really know if it was even necessary. Like water2wine, we've found it to be almost like magic - they just know them somehow, and I can't even put my finger on a date or time they learned them. It's just the way of thinking that they've been taught with Singapore. With my second ds, we're not adding in flashcards. He's finishing 1B, and I can tell he's on his way to just knowing his facts. If we do add them in at some point for him, I'll just run through the flashcards and set aside the ones he's slower on to practice, rather than doing them all every day. But, I don't think it will be necessary. I wouldn't let one post sway you on Singapore - it's an excellent program. With the HOD hands-on plans, it's outstanding. I do want to stress how important it is to do the HOD hands-on plans though - I think that's been key in helping my dc know their facts and understand math concepts as well. I do realize one math program won't work for everyone, but Singapore has been rated the #1 program for standardized testing results and was brought to the U.S. for that reason, so it has as good of a chance as any other program for being a super fit for your dc. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Terri,

This past thread may be of help with the flashcard drill question: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3777

Blessings,
Carrie