Comparing HOD & WinterPromise

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
funkmomma71

Re: Comparing HOD & WinterPromise

Post by funkmomma71 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:05 pm

Nicole,Welcome to the board! Have you considered doing WP and LA lesson plans from HOD. I am considering doing that with dd next, though I'm looking combining ECC from MFW with the LA and Math from Bigger. My original plan was to stretch out Beyond and Bigger over 3 years, but my dd is flying through Beyond so I'm rethinking my plan and am looking to combine so that my dd will be older when we get to Preparing. Combining the LA & math from Bigger with ECC seems like a pretty easy thing to do, and we wouldn't lose the flow of LA& Math skills from year to year. I am also planning on buying a volume of poetry from around the world to complement ECC. Oh, am I right in this recollection, WP has seperate guides for LA, science and math, so I think if you used them you would be working out of several guides at once.

As to the books in WP, yeah, I was not thrilled with some of the selections, but I feel very good about what HOD has put together. WP also seemed like a LOT of work, have you looked at other programs such as MFW? Maybe you could do something from that company for year, it seems like a lot less work and more economical.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:41 am

funkmama wrote:Have you considered doing WP and LA lesson plans from HOD.
No, I hadn't considered that! I will have a look at doing that - what a great idea! Then no matter when I switched between WP and HOD, my kids would be on the same math and LA levels. I was going to use Singapore Math anyway.
funkmama wrote:WP also seemed like a LOT of work, have you looked at other programs such as MFW? Maybe you could do something from that company for year, it seems like a lot less work and more economical.
Yes, I have looked a bit at MFW - I really like the look of some things about it, and wasn't so keen on other bits. One of my main problems with MFW is that we have just done Galloping the Globe this year and I didn't want to do another 'countries around the world' program and that would be Hannah's level from MFW. I think that I am going to have to get ALL of my catalogues out and ALL of the samples I have printed off the net and spread them all out and pray over them and ask God what I should do!

Thanks for your help!!
Last edited by NicoleJ on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Nicole - I think something went wrong with the quote feature. :D Funkmama said the above quotes instead of me. Could you please change it when you get at a chance? You'd just edit your post and type in funkmama where my3sons is. Thanks, and still praying for you and your decision. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sted

Post by sted » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi Nicole,

I'm curious. What are your requirements for history? I am Canadian (Albertan) and because we are traditional, parents are in charge of choosing the curriculum for their children. I have absolutely no requirements to do Canadian History however I have done them of course because I think they should know the history of their country! We are excited about doing American History this coming year because of all the exciting stories, famous historical figures, important Christian history and character lessons. We just finished a year of Canadian history and boy did I have to pull alot together. I wish HOD had a Canadian history curriculum! As I look towards using this curriculum longterm, I am going do the Am. History and add in the Canadian or take a year off of HOD in the future and do just Canadian history. My point is that I *think* alot of the American history in the early years is biographical in nature so the kids aren't just learning history but learning about character and being inspired by hero stories. I don't suspect my K-3 kids will remember much about the facts they learn during this time in their lives but hopefully they'll learn to love history and get a general flow for it.

Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:33 pm

sted wrote:Hi Nicole,

I'm curious. What are your requirements for history? I am Canadian (Albertan) and because we are traditional, parents are in charge of choosing the curriculum for their children. I have absolutely no requirements to do Canadian History however I have done them of course because I think they should know the history of their country! We are excited about doing American History this coming year because of all the exciting stories, famous historical figures, important Christian history and character lessons. We just finished a year of Canadian history and boy did I have to pull alot together. I wish HOD had a Canadian history curriculum! As I look towards using this curriculum longterm, I am going do the Am. History and add in the Canadian or take a year off of HOD in the future and do just Canadian history. My point is that I *think* alot of the American history in the early years is biographical in nature so the kids aren't just learning history but learning about character and being inspired by hero stories. I don't suspect my K-3 kids will remember much about the facts they learn during this time in their lives but hopefully they'll learn to love history and get a general flow for it.

Shannon
Hi Shannon! We also choose our own curriculum without too much imput from our modertors, but I know mine would be grumpy if I chose a curriculum that focused on American history for the whole year (or two!). Of course, our own personal reading books, etc, can be about the awesome characters from American history, and we could include some American history, but it would have to be in the context of world history. I feel the same about constructing an Australian history unit or year - whoa, what a lot of work for me to put it all together, and I don't even know where to start!!
Thanks so much for your imput!
Also: my husband's brother and his wife are in Canada - in Calgary :)