What MATH program do you use with HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Daisy

Re: What MATH program do you use with HOD?

Post by Daisy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:29 am

We just made the switch to Singapore and are very happy.

Here's a post about why we made the switch to Singapore.

http://daisyhomeschoolblog.blogspot.com ... -math.html

You might find it helpful. The gals on this board really helped me when we were deciding what to do.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:46 am

Daisy wrote:We just made the switch to Singapore and are very happy.

Here's a post about why we made the switch to Singapore.

http://daisyhomeschoolblog.blogspot.com ... -math.html

You might find it helpful. The gals on this board really helped me when we were deciding what to do.
Daisy - I'm so glad Singapore is going well for you. I really enjoyed reading your post about Singapore on your blog. I found myself nodding in agreement to the list you made - those are many of the same reasons I love Singapore too. Thanks for this link!

In Christ ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:07 am

We do LHFHG, and I like many moms, I don't have great math skills either. We began using singapore, but DD just was not getting it. She needed what another mom said.... some more "hand holding" type math, so we have been doing Rightstart Math, which I feel is more what she needed to make the connection, and it is working.

I think that Rightstart not only is teaching the basic math skills she needs but it also teaches why 2 and 2 is four not just to remember that it is. It is a little more prep and such for parent, more manipulatives, and costs more (I got a great deal on Amazon though) but.....I was one of those who did not have a real strong grasp on arithmatic, and do not want dd to have that problem, so if I have to spend a little more time, money, and energy on it, then so be it, it is all worth it when she was struggling to grasp these math concepts and now she see's in "number" and not just memorizing facts.
I think Singapore is outstanding, Rightstart just works better for our family.
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG