Advice please? :) Considering UN-combining dc ages 7 & 10

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Heart_Mom

Re: Advice please? :) Considering UN-combining dc ages 7 & 1

Post by Heart_Mom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:20 pm

pjdobro wrote:I am so happy for you that it went well. Yeah! :D Your intuition was right on target. I pray it continues to go well with you. :D

Thanks for your prayer and encouragement! :) We had another great day today! :mrgreen:
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Heart_Mom,

I'm late to this thread, and it sounds like you have made a switch that is working well for your family. I'm so glad that you are finding the right fit. Our kiddos surprise us at times, don't they! :D One thing I thought I'd just pop-in to mention is that if all is going well, you could just continue on this path without hopping your son up to Preparing Hearts right now. It is possible that by splitting up the two kiddos that you have found the change that will fit your son well. You may want to stay this course a bit and see what you think. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:15 am

Carrie wrote:Heart_Mom,

I'm late to this thread, and it sounds like you have made a switch that is working well for your family. I'm so glad that you are finding the right fit. Our kiddos surprise us at times, don't they! :D One thing I thought I'd just pop-in to mention is that if all is going well, you could just continue on this path without hopping your son up to Preparing Hearts right now. It is possible that by splitting up the two kiddos that you have found the change that will fit your son well. You may want to stay this course a bit and see what you think. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Dear Carrie,

Thank you so much for posting your thoughts on this. :D As I've been considering how things are going with the changes I've just made (ds10 Bigger, dd7 Bigger half-speed), and also looking at the Preparing guide; I've been wondering if we would be best served to do what you just suggested: keep things as they are. I may choose to have my son move up to Preparing at some point before Bigger is finished, but I think that he could benefit from staying in Bigger for a little while longer, both for the skills practice, and the American History content. He is currently doing a reading program other than DITHR that is fine, but not fantastic. I'm thinking that maybe one other thing I could change for the better right now is to switch over to DITHR. (I've already bought it!)

Ultimately, I think that if we stick with Bigger for a while longer (maybe a 2 months or so?) that the transition to Preparing will be better and easier. Oh ... I also love that this plan gets my 7 year old away from being the very youngest age for the guides. She honestly can do the work, but I think it's better for her to be more toward the middle range of the guides.

I had previously ordered the Preparing guide, and last week I ordered the rest of the Preparing books that we need. When they arrive tomorrow(!!!), I'll take a close look at them and make a final decision.

Thank you again, Carrie, for your thoughtful insights! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:33 pm

I just wanted to say congrats on finding a good fit for your dc. What a blessing it is to be able to switch to half-speed or full-speed, combining or not combining, so easily with HOD! I have taken advantage of this benefit many times over myself. Thanks for sharing your thought process here and your findings, as someone may be in this very situation and may take such comfort from your experience here. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie