Intro & Questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
keeleykats

Intro & Questions

Post by keeleykats » Thu May 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Greetings, I am a momma of an only 9yr ds. After a lot of prayer and an awful year, I am sure that we belong at HOD. I had to laugh when I read the other "new" posts. I also own almost every book in all of HOD, plus lots more. As far as our current curriculum...I add this, tweek that, try to cover everything and then we crash! I just can't seem to sift out the best and let go of the good.

I am considering Bigger. My ds is not a good reader, but I don't want to hold him back in science or history. I do a tremendous amount of reading aloud. Our read aloud total is already more than 10,000 pages for this school year. I also like Beyond, but I am not sure if it will be enough for a 9yr and we have already used that science book. I have Considering God's Creation and Zoology I and III, maybe I could switch to one of those...there I go trying to tweek HOD!

Here are my questions:

1. Any suggestions/comments on using Bigger or Beyond for a 9yr?

2. I need to turn in a log of what we do. I am not very good on the computer, but I am thinking of a two page spread with blocks similar to HOD. Does anybody have a favorite log book or form?

3. water2wine - You mentioned a Bible curriculum. I am planning on starting Greenleaf OT Guide in the next couple of weeks. This would carry over into our school year. Would that be too much?

4. Does anybody add lapbooking? We have had a lot of fun lapbooking and I hate to give it up.

5. What about ancient history? We did MOH I this year and loved it.

6. What about a state history? I am required to do that by 6th grade.

I feel sooo blessed to be here and feel at peace with using HOD. Thank you, Carrie!

Blessings, Kym

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu May 22, 2008 5:48 pm

My DD is only turning 5 so I can't help you answer your questions. But I wanted to send a warm "Welcome" your way. I too was a tweaker, but once I let it go and just follow the plans as written, my DD has enjoyed it a lot more.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu May 22, 2008 6:57 pm

Well, Beyond... only takes about 2-2.5 hours to complete, and Bigger... is supposed to take about 3.5. I think you would still have plenty of time to lapbook if you want to, as well as fit in a state study..you could pick a day each week to do that, or spend just a tiny bit of time doing those things each day.

The Preparing... guide (right after Bigger) is a world history overview, then the plan is to begin a four-year world history cycle, I think.

I feel that trying to use Beyond...with a 9 yo might be a little too easy, but it would depend on your child's ability level. Have you looked at the placement chart? You will find it here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php
Take a look at the chart to see where your child fits best. It's a great help in deciding which guide to go with.

Beyond... and Bigger... both cover American History. So if you went with one of those, that might fit your requirement for State history. Also, beginning with Bigger...there are extension packs available for older children (for those using it with younger and older siblings together) but you may get those anyway if you wanted to add more 'meat' to the program. I will actually be using Bigger...next year myself with my 8 yo dd and my 10 yo ds, adding the extension pack for him; I think it's going to be great! I have also begun using LHTH with ds 4. Others will offer some helpful suggestions soon. Good luck with your decision, and welcome to HOD. I look forward t getting to know you here! :)

keeleykats

Another Question

Post by keeleykats » Fri May 23, 2008 3:02 pm

Greetings Again, I thought of one more question. Someone mentioned doing a four day week. Do you save one day for field trips? How do you work it?

Blessings, Kym

Kathleen

Re: Intro & Questions

Post by Kathleen » Fri May 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Welcome Kym!! :D
keeleykats wrote: Here are my questions:

2. I need to turn in a log of what we do. I am not very good on the computer, but I am thinking of a two page spread with blocks similar to HOD. Does anybody have a favorite log book or form?

3. water2wine - You mentioned a Bible curriculum. I am planning on starting Greenleaf OT Guide in the next couple of weeks. This would carry over into our school year. Would that be too much?

4. Does anybody add lapbooking? We have had a lot of fun lapbooking and I hate to give it up.

1. I'm going to be using Bigger with my 8 yo son this year. (He'll turn 9 in April.) It looks like it will be a good fit for us. The placement chart will be helpful for you to look at to see where your son places.

2. I've seen many moms say that they check and date things in the actual HOD manual, and then turn that in to show what they've done. That would save you a lot of time, I'm thinking. :wink: If you add anything not in the plans, just pencil it in.

6. Here's a post where Carrie shared what her plan was to include State History. You may have to add this sooner than she had planned to have it in by 6th grade, but I'm sure you could do that.http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=930

We're going to do a 4-day week with Bigger this year and just take longer to finish the guide. Preparing will be written as a 4-day week.

Glad to meet you!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat May 24, 2008 10:05 am

keeleykats wrote:

Welcome Kym. Let me just add one little disclaimer. I am not by nature a CM type person. :shock: I found HOD and loved it and through that CM methods found me. I had always loved the methods but for most CM people I would be over doing it. However having said that to me Bible is not really school, to me you are discipling your children to show them a way of life which includes being in the Word. So to me Greenleaf Guide to the OT would be no big deal to add. In fact we use it as well on the side as one of the references but do it orally together but that is just because we already have a written component. I think it is a great guide and my kids are enjoying it.

On using Beyond or Bigger, have you looked at the charts? http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php I would think unless your child is delayed in reading Bigger would be the best fit. And you will love the Bible in Bigger as well. It deal with character issues and we have loved it. So you will want to do the Bible in Bigger as well even if you do the Greenleaf Guide to the OT. But it would be a wonderful match. 8)

Yes we lapbook and love it. We do some history but mostly Bible or science things. My kids would lapbook 24/7 if I would go for it. I am thinking about doing a character trait lapbook along with the Bible in Bigger. So if your kids love lapbooking then I would just continue it as long as you are not overloading yourself. We do a few a year here and there nothing terribly formal. We did one for Easter that was actually designed by someone, most are just fy by the seat of our pants.

HTH Welcome to HOD. :D I think you will love it. There is a lot of flexibility in the program. It certainly has enough on it's own but it is flexible that if you feel led to do certain things with your children, you will have the freedom to include them and not have that be overwhelming. 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat May 24, 2008 3:06 pm

keeleykats wrote:Greetings, I am a momma of an only 9yr ds. After a lot of prayer and an awful year, I am sure that we belong at HOD. I had to laugh when I read the other "new" posts. I also own almost every book in all of HOD, plus lots more. As far as our current curriculum...I add this, tweek that, try to cover everything and then we crash! I just can't seem to sift out the best and let go of the good.

I am considering Bigger. My ds is not a good reader, but I don't want to hold him back in science or history. I do a tremendous amount of reading aloud. Our read aloud total is already more than 10,000 pages for this school year. I also like Beyond, but I am not sure if it will be enough for a 9yr and we have already used that science book. I have Considering God's Creation and Zoology I and III, maybe I could switch to one of those...there I go trying to tweek HOD!

Here are my questions:

I feel sooo blessed to be here and feel at peace with using HOD. Thank you, Carrie!

Blessings, Kym
Hi Kym!

1. Bigger... is targeted for ages 8-10, so your 9 yo would fit right in!

2. Kathleen had a great idea, and if you are able to do that, I think it would be the best way to go about it. If you can't just turn in your guide with dated boxes, some moms just copy the Introduction of the guide and date that. This works well especially for history, spelling, and math. But if you have a boxed form in mind to make and check-off yourself, and you're comfortable with that, that would work well too!

I think your other questions have all been answered so well already, so I'll just welcome you here to the HOD board!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MainelyJen

Post by MainelyJen » Sun May 25, 2008 3:53 am

Kym -

Just want to chime in on two parts of your post.

For state history, you might want to try the Switched on Schoolhouse cd-rom. In this way, state history would be covered pretty independently, so you wouldn't be tempted to tweak too much. If you are going to start a new program, such as HOD, you might want to allow SOS to handle the state history part. Also, be sure to check out what your state's website has for kids. Ours is really nice!

As for the log book, I agree that keeping the HOD manual as your permanent record is a good idea. What I currently use is the Record of the Lifestyle of Learning from Notgrass. I order mine from Christian Book Distributors. You can view a sample of the layout there, I think. You use this to record what you actually did (not what you planned on doing!). Because each box is divided by topic (bible, service, history, reading, geography, science and so on) when you look back at your week you have an immediate visual of what you covered. . .and, more importantly, what areas seem to never get filled in! I'm a visual person, so I love this. If three weeks have gone by with nothing written in the fine arts box, I know I've messed up my schedule somewhere!

Kym, I think that HOD might offer you some peace and contentment in your homeschool. It is such a blessing to find a program you can use and just rest in, if you know what I mean!

keeleykats

Thank You!

Post by keeleykats » Wed May 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Thank you ladies for all your suggestions! I am really excited to get started! Blessings, Kym

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 29, 2008 12:06 am

Kym,

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you! Aren't the ladies on the board amazing about helping one another! :D Since it looks like they answered your questions, I will just chime in to agree that "Bigger..." would be the best fit! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

keeleykats

Thank You!

Post by keeleykats » Thu May 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Thank you Carrie! I am so impressed with the wonderful women on this board. Everybody is very positive and nurturing. I am glad to be here! :lol:

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 pm

Hi Kym,

Welcome! I am so glad HOD found you! I think everyone answered your questions so well. I just wanted to pop in and say, hello :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

keeleykats

Placed my order!!!!

Post by keeleykats » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:35 pm

Woohoo, I placed my order for Bigger! :D Now I have to wait...and I'll try not to tackle the UPS man! :lol: Thank you for all your answers and encouragement. This board is my favorite place to visit.
Blessings to all of you! Kym

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:29 pm

Oh Kym,

I'm excited for you! :D I love coming to the board too! It's my time to get together with other like-minded moms and be uplifted! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:35 pm

Kym,

You'll have so much fun with your new books! :D And...we'll get to be "Bigger Buddies" this year! :wink:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH