Overlooking the small miracles....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marty D

Overlooking the small miracles....

Post by Marty D » Wed May 28, 2008 9:17 pm

The kids are in bed, and so it is time to sit and think through my day! :D It has been kind of a hard day because my middle ds started throwing up right before lunch, and we were at grandma's house to see relatives. (Middle ds, Daniel, has some stomach issues, and we are not sure what is going on. He is better now, and ate like a pig this evening.) I know this is minor, but it throws me off. Throw-up is like the worst!!! :cry:

Anyway, after getting the kiddos to bed, I was thinking back through the day, and I realized what my oldest ds, Nathanael, had done today. A little history first. Nathanael has been diagnosed with PDD (pervasive developmental disorder), mild dyslexia, a mood disorder, and severe ADHD (the ADHD poster boy!) When I started teaching him to read I was using ABeka. We got no where. We tried a couple of things, and then stumbled on Scaredy Cat Reading. I tried it, and WOW it was great! But, he would still not read in front of anyone but me. Earlier this year he started reading to his grandmother some, and when my mom came in a couple of weeks ago, he read for her.

Normally when we have company, Nathanael says hello, gives hugs, and then retreats to a place where he does not have to socialize (his PDD is right on the edge of the autism spectrum). Today, when we arrived at grandma's house, Nathanael not only stayed in the room, but he went and got an Amelia Bedelia book and read to everyone!!!

Sad thing is, I was so involved with Daniel being sick, and feeling overwhelmed, I did not take notice of it right away. Not until the house is quiet did I take time to realize what an accomplishment it really was.

Just wanted to share with you all, and thank God publicly. I will be quiet now.
Martha

Mom to 3 boys --Nathanael 8, Daniel 5, and Karsten 2

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Wed May 28, 2008 9:24 pm

Oh Martha, that is just precious! You are doing wonders with and for your children by investing so much in their successes in life. Good for you and your son! Every accomplishment is like a badge on your vest. Wear it proudly. God is so good to give you the time to reflect and remember. Cherish these moments.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed May 28, 2008 9:30 pm

How wonderful! I am overjoyed for you! Give that little guy an extra hug tomorrow.

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:33 pm

Praise God! I love how He reveals Himself to us through our children. :D

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed May 28, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm so happy for him...and you! :D He must be getting really confident with his reading. You'll have to give him some extra hugs and high-5's for that one. (Or some 7's as my nephew would say...who says we have to use the #5?? :wink: )

Sorry about your throw up - I know what you mean about it being the worst! :x My 4 yo tried throwing-up in order to get her way recently...I think she's figured out that it isn't working. :roll:

Thanks for the inspiration to appreciate the growth in our kids. Sometimes I forget to look. :oops:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 29, 2008 12:33 am

Martha,

That's twice today you have me tearing up (which is no small feat)! :D
I am cheering with you tonight for the blessing of a son who's reading to an audience and glorifying the Lord with you for what I'm sure is an answered prayer.
:wink:
Blessings,
Carrie

MainelyJen

Post by MainelyJen » Thu May 29, 2008 4:00 am

Oh, Marty, I'm thanking God with you for this blessing. Moments like that really touch your heart. What a joy!

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Thu May 29, 2008 7:13 am

That's so precious! Praise God for such a powerful testimony you've shared, and especially for a wonderful blessing! \o/
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

shera

Post by shera » Thu May 29, 2008 8:53 am

That is just great!! Give him some extra hugs and high 10's

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04