Need some advice

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sted

Need some advice

Post by sted » Mon May 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi Carrie,

I really appreciate that you take the time to respond to so many peoples' questions.

My oldest (14) has done 3 HOD programs up to RTR and enjoyed them very much. We took a year off to study Canadian History and now would like to get back into the HOD flow :) I'm currently leaning toward continuing on with Rev to Rev, perhaps using the extensions or else having her read the read-alouds mostly on her own as I have other read alouds with other children to do, but was wondering if it would work to add some elements of your World Geography program, specifically the literature study to increase the difficulty for her. Do you think this would work or is there another literature program I should look at for next year and save the World Geography literature plan for when she gets there. She is a fairly strong reader/writer, she'd done 2 years of DITHOR and I feel she's ready for the next step in literature analysis.

Thanks,
Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Need some advice

Post by Carrie » Tue May 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Shannon,

Will your 14 year old be a freshman this coming year (when she would be doing Rev2Rev)? If she is, you could definitely consider using the literature plan from the World Geography guide (since she's done DITHR). I did want to clarify though that she's done DITHR 6/7/8 and has done the formal writing programs in the previous guides? Or, if not, can you share what she's done for formal writing thus far? One thing that will also help is to consider what year she will be in high school when she reaches the World Geography guide. If you get a chance to share that will also help as we ponder a path for her. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

sted

Re: Need some advice

Post by sted » Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi Carrie,

She did complete DITHOR 5/6 a couple years ago, did most of the Medieval Theme IEW year, most of the IEW Level C and is currently taking an IEW online Essay writing class. She is 14 and will be 15 in February so she will actually in her 10th year of homeschooling (grade 10) because we started her early, however we have no qualms about having her do and extra year and say she's in 9th just to cover all the great homeschool material there is before post-secondary studies. I guess I'm torn as to whether to go back and do Rev to Rev and MMTM or just go right into the the new World Geography guide. I don't want her to miss all the great information in the past two guides, but at the same time challenge her at her skill level. She's also doing Physical Science Apologia and Algebra 1. I guess if she did the World Geography guide, next year she'd cover everything in World History. That would leave one year for 20th century history or Canadian 20th Century history in grade 12. Do you have any ideas as to what text you would be using in the World history course that's coming next?

One literature program I've been considering is Windows on the World by IEW which I've heard good things about so that might be a possibility or doing the BJU that you have scheduled in World Geography.

Thanks so much for your input,
Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1