Dictation in preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
carrielaurie

Dictation in preparing

Post by carrielaurie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Is the dictation level in the Preparing Guide grade 4?

TrueGRIT

Re: Dictation in preparing

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:42 pm

My understanding is that the dictation goes by levels, and not grades.
We are in Bigger, so we are only beginning.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 pm

There are 3 levels of dictation offered in Preparing.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:28 pm

The 3 levels of dictation offered in PHFHG are levels 2, 3, and 4. They are levels to work through and are not meant to be grade equivalent. Here are some dictation samples, in case this is helpful...

Dictation Samples:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1221

We have been so impressed with the long term effects of dictation for each of our sons. The longer they have done it, the fewer the mistakes. Their spelling has become better and better through the years, and the carryover to their own writing has been awesome! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

carrielaurie

Post by carrielaurie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:20 am

Thank you all for your replies. It is easy for me to get hung up on grade levels instead of just focusing on progress. My dd struggles with spelling. Thank you for your encouragement. I don't know why I always worry about the standardized testing. I need to just keep working hard with my dd and trust The Lord. Have a blessed day! :D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:16 pm

I just wanted to encourage you that my oldest ds had speech therapy for several years and was not a natural speller in any way! Dictation has been the best thing for him. He has made slow and steady progress year after year. He is doing the last level of dictation now. He misses some passages now and then, but not so often. If you would have showed me these passages years back and asked me if I though he could study them for a few minutes and then write them as I dictate them a phrase at at time, I'd have say 'no way.' :wink: I think this will be your ds's story years down the road too! Take heart - dictation honestly, truly, does work!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie