phonics after 1st question/BLHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
renee

phonics after 1st question/BLHFHG

Post by renee » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Do you think I need to continue with Phonics instruction in 2nd grade with Abeka ? He has used Abeka K through 1st grade with success. Should I fill in with Explode the Code or The Reading Lesson? This is my first time teaching phonics, and I do not really know what to do for 2nd grade. Abeka is great, but it is sooo time consuming.

We will be using Beyond for 2nd next year.

Renee

lissiejo

Re: phonics after 1st question/BLHFHG

Post by lissiejo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:00 pm

My personal opinion is that you should complete whatever phonics program you started with. Every program, while they all teach phonics, teaching things in a different order. Abeka is intended to be a 2 year curriculum so it would be like only completing half a program and switching. I have used Abeka and it is very solid on phonics, so finishing with Abeka would be good. Some of the other programs are only year-long or less.

However, it is my understanding that the rest of the Abeka reading curriculum is just reinforcement. If you have finished the initial two years you should be fine moving right into the ER set.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

renee

Post by renee » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks. I guess that's an area I don't want to "skimp" on. Even though I am sick of the repetitive charts, they work. As much as I would like to switch, I don't have the confidence to do so. Phonics is very important, and I do not want to have problems down the road.

Thank you so much for your help.

Renee

renee

Post by renee » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Any thought on spelling for 2nd grade? I wanted to try HOD spelling but I know Abeka ties their spelling into their phonics lessons. I guess I could modify them. I was thinking of doing HOD English in Beyond instead of Abeka Language workbook.

Renee

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:03 pm

just sent you a private message :)
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory