How to "beef" up Revival to Revolution

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
igeagewalker

How to "beef" up Revival to Revolution

Post by igeagewalker » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:58 pm

HI,
I am going to be ordering RTR for my 8th grade daughter, who will begin in Feb. and finish next year, during her 9th grade year. She had tried HOD once before and had a hard time because of anxiety issues, but I want to give it another go. I have two questions. How can I beef this up so we can count it as high school credit.

And does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her not get so overwhelmed-she sees all the boxes and just gets lost. She gets nervous, anxious and then hates the work. She gets grumpy and angry. She has a diagnosed anxiety disorder and is on meds. for it. Just thought maybe some experienced HOD moms might have some suggestions.
Thanks
pam
Pam , Married to my best friend for 17 years
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC
2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 ferret, 1 horse

Tabitha

Re: How to "beef" up Revival to Revolution

Post by Tabitha » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:48 am

I don't know if this would help. It's just something that popped into my head.

Would this work? Have a sheet of paper with a sqaure cut out at one corner that is the same size opening to reveal just one of the subject boxes. Lay it on the page so only that one subject is exposed for her to read. Then when she is done with a box she can flip the page around to reveal another box, again covering the rest. Let her move at her own pace with each subject. Then as she gets moving along, if you find she needs to spend more or less time to complete a subject, perhaps adding in some type of time reminder card she can look at for each box might be helpful. I wouldn't want 'time' issues to raise her anxiety at all. But perhaps if she knows that she only needs to spend 'x' time on something that will help her not go over board and do more than what needs to be done. Also, maybe some type of list that she can either add to or cross off as subjects are done might be beneficial.

There are many posts on the board for high school and beefing things up. I'll go see if I can find some and post them here. Knowing your state guidelines for high school credit helps in sorting all this out. For the anxiety concerns, though, perhaps some times might need to be done differently. Take the time to sort through all the wonderful info the threads contain and don't make it let your head spin.

Just the other week I had to physcially write out all our options as we're in a 8th/9th combo as well. Once I had it all on paper, I could see what was best for my dd on which subjects to beef up and which to wait on.

I'll pray for you and your dd as you find what the perfect path is for her to follow.

Beefing up a program for jr/sr high: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6571
Rev To Rev sneak peaks (from board index page): viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7994
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

igeagewalker

Post by igeagewalker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 am

thanks So much for your detailed ideas for my daughter. I think that might just work! Now i just have to figure out some add on that will bring it up to high school! She is already doing Apologia Physical Science that we will finish and she has started Analytical Grammar. So really I think it is just a matter of adding in some upper level literature and maybe writing and she will be set. I wonder? Do you think I need to add any upper level history reading? I almost think with her anxiety issues, adding too much would be too much. Most likely she will go to a community college after high school. Her anxiety issues, unless they improve, really will prevent her from any four year college, unless she would go part time.
Once again, I thank you for you response, so fast!!! I can think and pray today and maybe place an order tonight or tomorrow.
Pam
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:01 am

Pam,
I had the same type of idea about covering up the other boxes, but I was going to suggest using post-it's to cover the other boxes, but the paper idea sounds great as well. We used Notgrass Government to beef up Rev to Rev for Highschool credit. My kids only did it on Fridays and we spaced it out over the whole school year. That might work for your daughter so as not to overwhelm her even more. We are also using Movies as Literature this year to beef up MtMM but it could be done with any year. I have been impressed with the writing skills my kids have picked up through that program. Anyway, just a few thoughts, I hope they help.
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Here is a thread that may help...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208&p=59715

If dd has anxiety issues, I think I'd start without the extensions and focus on the core of the program first. Then, if you feel it is good to do so, you can add the extensions later. I love the ideas you've received already! RevtoRev is a great guide - I think you will both enjoy it! HTH!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

igeagewalker

Post by igeagewalker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm

HI, Thanks again for replies. I left a PM for mythreesons. I think i have a handle of what to do. Not sure about upping the literature though. I just placed my order and I am excited!!! I start CTC with my younger twin boys this week-though one has the stomach flu so we may need to push it out a day or tw0:(
thanks again.
pam
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC