Placement for twin boys

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
igeagewalker

Placement for twin boys

Post by igeagewalker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:04 pm

I am considering trying HOD again....we tried several years back and there was just too much happening in my life and I just couldn't stick with it. I want sooo much to make it through a full year of HOD to give it a honest evaluation-it looks soo good and fits a lot of what I am looking for. But here is the question. I have twin boys who just turned 11 last week. We are currently doing KONOS-(way too much prep!), IEW Level A, Winston Grammar, and two different math curriculums. They both read above grade level, and have finished learning cursive, though don't copy or write with ease yet. As for written narrations, we haven't done any of those, though we do dictation for spelling. I would like to put them in RTR, but afraid they may be not quite there. But if we start with CTC, then they wouldn't get to the geography guide for high school on time. I would LOVE any and all feedback!! I think most of all, I really want something planned, with God at the center, but yet something that won't overwhelm my boys.
Thanks
Ice age walker

I should also mention that we are 1/2 through Story of the World Ancient Times and will finish that in the next two months.
Thanks again for any advice.
Pam , Married to my best friend for 17 years
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC
2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 ferret, 1 horse

igeagewalker

Re: Placement for twin boys

Post by igeagewalker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Did I write something that was offensive? I don't know why no one has responded to my post. If there is something that I wrote that is not appropriate, please let me know.
Thanks
Pam , Married to my best friend for 17 years
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC
2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 ferret, 1 horse

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 pm

igeagewalker wrote:I am considering trying HOD again....we tried several years back and there was just too much happening in my life and I just couldn't stick with it. I want sooo much to make it through a full year of HOD to give it a honest evaluation-it looks soo good and fits a lot of what I am looking for. But here is the question. I have twin boys who just turned 11 last week. We are currently doing KONOS-(way too much prep!), IEW Level A, Winston Grammar, and two different math curriculums. They both read above grade level, and have finished learning cursive, though don't copy or write with ease yet. As for written narrations, we haven't done any of those, though we do dictation for spelling. I would like to put them in RTR, but afraid they may be not quite there. But if we start with CTC, then they wouldn't get to the geography guide for high school on time. I would LOVE any and all feedback!! I think most of all, I really want something planned, with God at the center, but yet something that won't overwhelm my boys.
Thanks
Ice age walker

I should also mention that we are 1/2 through Story of the World Ancient Times and will finish that in the next two months.
Thanks again for any advice.
Hi igeagewalker, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D I don't think you wrote anything offensive at all - this is just a time where so many are in the heart of trying to homeschool and are not as quick to respond on the board. :) It sounds like HOD would be an awesome fit for your family! It is open and go, very planned out and easy to use, totally Christ-centered, and user friendly to students - as long as they are placed correctly. :D That leads me to my next thought in regard to placement for your two dear sons. I think that the writing is a consideration when choosing between RTR and CTC. There is more guidance and practice in written narrations, as well as less in the amount of writing in general, in CTC than RTR. Dc are copying passages in cursive for RTR, writing longer written narrations around 8-12 sentences with minimal guidance, writing a longer paragraph with ease, have had formal reading instruction (in genres, story elements, vocabulary, etc.) and are ready for more difficult reading instruction, and are ready to begin to outline. When you look at the writing column especially in the placement chart, would it seem that CTC would be a better fit due to these considerations? From what you've shared, I think it would be, but you would know best there. CTC is a meaty guide, and I think you and your sons would really enjoy it! :D The books are wonderful, and the guidance in written narrations, oral narrations, writing helps, etc. are such an aid to us as our dc's teachers. :D Could you possibly stop TOG and reading Story of the Ancient World, and start CTC instead of moving forward? What do you think? I would not worry about starting the Geography guide the first year in high school. There are many, many paths to take with HOD that get your credits covered nicely - you need not worry about that. I'll wait to hear your thoughts and get back to you then! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

glperky

Post by glperky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:26 pm

igeagewalker wrote:Did I write something that was offensive? I don't know why no one has responded to my post. If there is something that I wrote that is not appropriate, please let me know.
Thanks
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

glperky

Post by glperky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 pm

igeagewalker wrote:Did I write something that was offensive? I don't know why no one has responded to my post. If there is something that I wrote that is not appropriate, please let me know.
Thanks

I haven't been using HOD long enough to answer any of your questions, sorry. However I did read your post and I don't find anything offensive in your post. Someone will answer, I feel sure. The ladies here are very helpful, just give them a little time. :wink:
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:48 pm

I have two boys 10 and 12 (Nov.) doing RtR this school year. I think your boys would be fine with a little modification. I do modify things for my 10 yo. I decrease the amount of sentences that he has to write in his written narration, but have slowly been adding in more as he can tolerate :D them. He should be able to do the full written narration by the end of the year. Would that maybe work for your boys?? Also, I skipped CTC because I wanted my 12 yo to be able to finish the guides in order and we have done A LOT of Creation to Christ Study in our homeschool. So maybe look at what you could modify for them at the beginning of the year and then slowly build them up to speed by the end of the year. Does that make sense?? I also do a little more reading to my 10 yo as well. My 12 yo can do everything on his own as is written in the guide. I hope that helps out some. I have two highschoolers doing MTMM with beef-ups. Last year I ran three guides and I just couldn't do it this year. So combining my younger two was the only option for me. Anyway, just my idea, I hope it helps you out a little, I know what you mean by wanting an open and go guide with a Christ focus.
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to your sooner. I read your question, but I've been sick for the last few days and am just getting back to the board. I was thinking when I first read your post that RTR would be quite a workload in the writing department for your dc if they aren't used to doing written narrations or much writing now. I have twins too, though mine are b/g twins. Mine are just a bit younger than yours. They won't be 11 until May. We've been using HOD for 5 years now and are currently doing CTC. Even having gone through all the previous guides, the jump up in writing in CTC was challenging for them at the start of the year. They are into the flow now, but the amount of actual writing still challenges them at times, especially my ds. The physical act of writing has always been their weak area and the area they struggle most in though so this may not be a concern for you. I would second Julie's suggestion of taking a good look at the writing column on the placement chart to see where you feel your dc place best.

HOD has been wonderful here for us. My dc have gained so many skills as well as knowledge. It truly is open and go. Even though I've been sick, we have been able to continue school pretty much as normal since my dc have learned so much independence over the years and have such confidence in using the guides. They just brought me the guide and books for our work together and did their own independent work. I'm thankful for the ease of use especially in times like these. I think you'll find it wonderful both in content and ease of use. Welcome! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1