Guide for 9th Grade

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jkhamell

Guide for 9th Grade

Post by jkhamell » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi,

My daughter is finishing Revival to Revolutions as an 8th grader this year. We have not done any formal study of the history in Missions to Marvels. So I was thinking of beefing that up for her 9th grade year. I know there are some links about doing this. I think I would like to use the science in the new guide (will I need to buy this guide to get the pacing)

As of now I'm thinking I would do this:
9th grade: second half US hisotry Missions to Marvels
10th grade: world History guide forth coming
11th grade: US History
12th grade: US History/Geography

My hangup is we never did contemporary US History in elementary school - this is only our 4th year homeschooling and I fell behind the history ball. The beauty of the guide is that it is all scheduled - which I love. So I worry that I'm making it too much work to work out of two guides. I could also have her read the Joy Hakim series as an extension to what we are doing now. Then I could take full advantage of the science, literature study, HS level social studies offered in the new guide. I realize she will get the second half of US history in 12th grade.

I would've placed her in missions to marvels this year but I thought I would be combining her with her sister - but really her sister needs to move down a level for the work load which we will be doing 2nd semester (I have to wait to buy the guide - I hate that).

I would love your opinions. I wanted to use some of the break to work on curriculum choices for next year and tweak a few things. I may just have to continue pondering as more sneak peeks become available.

Thanks for thoughts,
Kim
Kim
Starting HOD for the first time 9/2012
dd 13: Rev to Rev
dd 11: Rev to Rev
dd 9: Preparing
dd 7: Beyond
dd 3: Little Hands January 2013

8arrows

Re: Guide for 9th Grade

Post by 8arrows » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:02 pm

My first thought is this. If you are not going to combine, and if you she is capable of the work, I would go with the new geography guide. I would just have her read through Story of the World 4 or listen to it on CD this summer. That would give her some exposure to modern history, but would also give you the freedom to move on. I think it is always easier to work out of one guide if you can.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:50 pm

8arrows gave a great suggestion! Woud you guess she is she ready for the Geography guide? It will be a jump from RevtoRev, but if she could have done MTMM this year, perhaps very doable. :D One other thing to think about - no matter what guide you choose - the 5th day is free. Simply having her read whatever resources you choose could fill that history part you are wanting to fill. That being said - from one busy homeschool mama just doing the best I can to another, I'm giving you permission to leap out from behind the 'history ball' and give it a little kick. :wink: If a bit of history is somehow not covered just so, I think that is worth all of the benefits gained from enjoying the total beauty of doing an HOD guide to its fullest, reaping the benefits of all the lovely connections and teachable moments that present themselves when a guide is done that way. The fifth day, that would be a good way to do the little bit of extra history if you want, but the other 4 days, I'd get to enjoying the guide by using it as your open and go best friend. :D I'd put her in the Geography guide if she's totally ready for it, if not though, the MTMM is awesome too! :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:37 am

I agree with 8arrows. If your child is ready - pick up the Geography guide in 9th grade. I would begin to fill in now and over the summer with the audios, etc. of the missing history. You have many other ones coming along, and the less tweaking you have to do to make a guide work best for your child the better. I have found that with my clan, even if they start in a guide lower than their age, they make progress and can be moved up quickly to a guide that fits them better. Having said that I have a 10th grader who is currently using the left-side of the Rev to Rev guide and it is going well, but I spent a great deal of time and thought on it before we went in that direction.

I've jumped back onto add that for my oldest I felt a need to plan all of HS and I wanted to use HOD resources, but I needed to work with what was available to make my plan, so we're using the Rev to Rev guide over a 2 - year period and finishing high school with the MTMM guide.
Last edited by deltagal on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

CrystalM

Post by CrystalM » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:17 am

I would use MTMM next year with extensions and then follow the high school course of Geography, World History, and U.S. History 1 in the order they will be completed. Otherwise you will end up having two years of modern U.S. History on your daughter's transcript but no formal year of geography. In some states geography may not be required for high school, however, I think having two years of the same history will look odd to colleges. The only area of concern is making sure you get a semester of government and a semester of economics/personal finance in before she graduates.

CrystalM

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 am

I am a little bit in the same boat with my oldest son ... he is currently in 8th grade son and is in REVtoREV this year and we have used HOD with him for 4 years now beginning with Preparing. He has always done extensions and I am confident he could handle the new GEO guide for 9th. I placed him in this level to begin with to keep my 2 oldest together in the same guide for the last 4 years. We have so enjoyed that time together but it now seems like the right time to separate them beginning next school year. I would hate for him to miss MTMM but am seeing the beauty of moving him into the GEO guide for High School and being able to go those 4 years without tweeking :D . So I guess my question is ... he will have to miss one HOD guide ... which would you choose to miss?
Last edited by basesloaded on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:12 pm

I am carefully watching this thread because we are in a very similar boat. :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:52 pm

I did want to say thanks Julie for the year and a half on a guide idea for my middle son. This really sounds like a likable/doable idea that would suit him well and put us right where we need to be after 3 years. I would not have thought of that on my own :D !
Suzy in Eastern NC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:02 pm

basesloaded wrote:I did want to say thanks Julie for the year and a half on a guide idea for my middle son. This really sounds like a likable/doable idea that would suit him well and put us right where we need to be after 3 years. I would not have thought of that on my own :D !
Oh, so glad to have helped in some small way! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Oh you always help and I would call it BIG not small ways :D !
Suzy in Eastern NC