First Dictation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TrueGRIT

First Dictation

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:19 pm

For a little background most of the spelling words my 8yo ds did in 1st (other curriculum) and 2nd grades and the first four months of this school year (HOD).
He could spell them fairly well and he was bored with the same words, so I decided to try him on the dictation passages in his guide (Bigger Hearts).
I told him that he didn't have to get it perfect the first time and I believed that helped.

The first passage is as follows:
Sue has a bird.
It can call and sing.

He wrote:
Sur has a brid.
It can call and sing.

Personally, I thought he did very well considering he is mildly dyslexic.

I didn't know what to think about continuing with dictation, or trying to find a new spelling list for him to try.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

my3sons

Re: First Dictation

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:06 pm

I'd say that's pretty good! :D Maybe give dictation a few weeks, and then see what you think? If he is missing just a passage, or at most 2, a week, he's good to go! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

TrueGRIT

Re: First Dictation

Post by TrueGRIT » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:28 am

my3sons wrote:I'd say that's pretty good! :D Maybe give dictation a few weeks, and then see what you think? If he is missing just a passage, or at most 2, a week, he's good to go! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Thanks Julie.
He did the passage perfectly the second time!
I believe I will have him try it until our Christmas Break and then reevaluate. I really don't like the idea of looking for another list.
Sticking to HOD and the recommendations make things so much easier, and overall he is enjoying school more.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)