Slower speed in Rev to Rev for dyslexic son?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Julie Jobe

Slower speed in Rev to Rev for dyslexic son?

Post by Julie Jobe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am

Although we have not had my DS13 formally tested, all the signs point to dyslexia. We have been using HOD for four years and plan to continue. This year with all the reading, our days are becoming long-so long that he is becoming discouraged. I am reading a good portion of the longer sections to him. I have now prayed and decided that I am going to work with him daily on some right-brained activities and a phonics program. My thought is to do that every day and do one side of the guide each day along with that. I can't think of any other way to do it that would work. Obviously that would mean we would do half a guide per year, but I am ok with that. Just wondering if anyone has done that successfully or have other suggestions?! Thanks so much!

Tansy

Re: Slower speed in Rev to Rev for dyslexic son?

Post by Tansy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:35 pm

MP3 Player came to mind. Audio books links like librivox audiobooksforfree have lots of books to listen to. Also your library may have books to listen to, often dyslexics are allowed to listen to the material in stead of having to read it all. Reading some but not all is ok with me.
I wonder if that would help you both, he can listen and you save your voice.
Taking it slow is just fine, working to encourage him, breeding a love of learning is more important than getting it all done quickly.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

Julie Jobe

Post by Julie Jobe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:27 am

Thank you, Tansy. Praying about having him "officially" tested or just using all the techniques I have been studying. I definitely don't want to him to lose his love of learning nor his love for HOD. Some days are just so long for him. He can comprehend well, but just reads very slowly.

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:22 pm

I have a struggling reader in 3rd grade using Bigger this year. We've already planned to use HOD at his pace. WE do math everyday and he reads to me everyday. Everything else we mark off as we get it done and I don't go to the next day until it's complete. We've only been doing this about 6 weeks, but it's working nicely.

We use audiobooks for a lot of ds's pleasure reading. Some books he reads along with the audiobook, others he just listens. I have a basic Kindle and Nook and use them as well as his MP3 player. Kindle has a program where the book can be read to the reader. I hate the "computer" voice, but ds doesn't mind it.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:33 pm

I think your plan to go half-speed and focus on improving his reading is a good one! :D I do think testing could be helpful as well. Keep in mind we have many dc using CTC through MTMM with extensions and other various materials LA/mathwise for high school very successfully. They are meaty guides, so slowing down isn't an idea unique to ds's situation. :wink:

In Christ
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:38 pm

If you do get him tested and he qualifies

from there web site
Qualified applicants are those who cannot read or utilize conventional reading material because of physical or learning impairments. Clients are both children and adults with vision, learning or physical impairments who cannot read for themselves. We also serve students learning English as a second language. To become a qualified listener to NTRB or to receive a catalog of our recorded books, call ....

http://www.readingresource.org/

looks like 5-10$ a book though but it maybe less if he is labeled with at LD (I'm not an advocate of labeling just so ya know) I do know they will record books you request did a few spot checks to see if they had books from Rev to Rev and didn't find any tho.
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/