Update/not finished with bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
renee

Update/not finished with bigger

Post by renee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:30 am

Hello. I started Bigger late this year (was using MFW Adventures). I am only on Unit 8. My son is in third grade this year (9 years old will be 10 Oct.). I hate the idea of carrying Bigger over into the next school year (4th grade). We will finish up this year on Unit 25. So I guess next year we will be doing Bigger for the first 9 weeks or so.
Can I just stop at Unit 25 and start Preparing at the beginning of the new school year? Just looking for some input.
I was thinking by unit 25 he will have a good handle on how the guides works. He does well with everything. Not complaining too much about the writing. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Blessings,

Renee
UPDATE/Need Advice

Update: I never resumed Bigger. Stopped at Unit 8. I continued on with MFW Adventures for third grade. He practiced narration throughout the year with his readers. He is now in fourth grade going to be 10 in Oct. He knows how to write cursive beautifully. Reading on a late fourth grade/early fifth grade level. Still cannot stand to write, but he can do it when I help him organize his thought into main points. He uses the main points on board to form his short summary/with some assistance. Did abeka grammar 3 and some Rod and Staff 3 last year. Can read independently in short bursts 10-15 minutes at a time. Does get overwhelmed easily. Low frustration level, but very bright. Since we never really did Bigger, I was thinking of just placing him into Preparing. He does fit into Preparing on the placement chart. Most of his struggle is due to ADHD/wanting to just get it done. Because I am dealing with ADHD, I do not think this is something that will change in time. I think for me Bigger sounds like less of a fight, but I will always have that struggle with him. He loves history and science. He has had plenty of American History with Adventures MFW.

From those of you who have done Preparing, do you feel my son will be able to handle this guide?

Any thoughts from anyone????

thank you,

Renee
Last edited by renee on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
renee

blessedmomof4

Re: Update/not finished with bigger

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Preparing sounds like a good placement based on what you have shared. In Preparing, you would still read out loud to your student for Learning About History, Storytime, and Poetry, while he would be expected to read the Independent History and Science on his own-these are brief readings intended to encourage independence. He would be expected to learn to follow the directions for these two subjects independently as well, which you can help him with until he gets the hang of it. All the other subjects labeled S for Semi-independent are meant for you to work alongside him as much as needed. Hope that helps.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

renee

Post by renee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:15 pm

Thank you!! I so appreciate your advice. It has really helped me sort through this.

Renee

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:09 pm

You're welcome :) Also, if you choose to use Rod and Staff for English, HOD recommends you do 2/3 of each lesson orally or on a white board, leaving 1/3 for written work in a notebook-this way you cover the lesson in a shorter time, and the child is not overwhelmed with too much writing.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

renee

Post by renee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Thank you!