One big binder? Individual binders?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mumkins

One big binder? Individual binders?

Post by Mumkins » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Which do you use and why?

I was kinda thinking it's be great to just take out one binder at the start of the day and everything is right there. Then I started thinking, it could be quite massive to attempt to turn the pages by the end of the year.

Just wondering what others are doing.
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

blessedmomof4

Re: One big binder? Individual binders?

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:57 pm

I use individual binders, for that very reason-it would be huge with everything in it :shock: For CTC I have one large binder with page protectors for the Student Notebooking pages, one small binder for Geography/Bible Study,for Science a sketchbook (for notebooking and lab pages) and composition notebook (for written questions), though in hindsight a binder with page protectors and 3 sections would have been good, a composition book for grammar, a composition book for dictation, and a journal for Common Place Book.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:41 pm

I let my son decide what he wanted for Preparing, and he liked the idea of one big binder. He likes not having to think about which binder to pull out. We do have a composition book that we use for a couple of things, but the Science and History notebooking pages are all together.

HTH! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks ladies!
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:08 pm

We're only up to Bigger and we just started, but I'm using one big binder this year for science and history. I have a separate notebook for dictation and another for grammar. I like having the notebooking pages all together since I have so many other notebooks and books and things to keep track of. This is also keeps it quickly at hand so I can show off how great HOD without having to look for multiple things :)
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:54 pm

lissiejo wrote:We're only up to Bigger and we just started, but I'm using one big binder this year for science and history. I have a separate notebook for dictation and another for grammar. I like having the notebooking pages all together since I have so many other notebooks and books and things to keep track of. This is also keeps it quickly at hand so I can show off how great HOD without having to look for multiple things :)
This is how we're doing it for Bigger. We have one Better Binder for science/history, then comp books for spelling/dictation and grammar. Everything is clearly marked and I used different colors, so, hopefully, he'll be able to see at a glance what he needs. We start Monday, so we'll see.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR