Ideas on presenting information?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jenny

Ideas on presenting information?

Post by Jenny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:34 pm

I am trying to organize our school room and supplies. I will be teaching Beyond and I'm wondering how you present the poem each week. Do you write it on chart paper, type it and post on bulletin board, or just read together out of appendix? Also, do you post the weekly Bible verse in a particular way? Just trying to gather ideas that you think work best. Thanks!
Jenny
6 yr. old son {Beyond}
www.thepearlsofhomeschooling.blogspot.com

lissiejo

Re: Ideas on presenting information?

Post by lissiejo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 pm

We just read everything. I don't post the Bible verse either, but it might be a good idea! If I did I'd use one of the white boards in our school room because it would be easy.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

RecumbentHeart

Post by RecumbentHeart » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:49 pm

I just do those things as written. :)
Alicia
DS10: CTC (beginning Sept.)
DD8: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS7: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS5: LHfHG

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:56 pm

I did Beyond with two of my children together a couple years ago. It was such a fun year! Beyond Little Hearts is packed full of fun activities and amazing learning experiences. We even had such wonderful discussions about God's Word and the verses we were learning each week! You're going to have such a fun year with Beyond!

With the poems, I remember I made copies of them for each of my children to have in their binder. When we did the poetry box on day 1, I read aloud the poem and allowed them to guess the title, then I'd reveal the real title, and read it again to them. Day 2, I read the poem aloud again, and then they cut apart their poems into each line, and then I scrambled them up, so they could put them in the right order and then glue them onto colored construction paper. This was always a lot of fun and laughter as I "scrambled" their poems! :wink: For the younger student of the two, I'd have her cut out two or three lines in each piece until she was better at figuring out how to order them, and her reading skills improved, then she could do one line pieces. They'd file these into their binder. Day 3 we'd read the poem and they would add in actions, and Day 4 they'd draw a picture to go with the poem to add to their copywork (within the Language Box). Day 5 we did various things to review our poems. Sometimes they'd just read them, other times we'd take turns with each line of the poem, or we'd read them all together.

I really just did what was written in the guide, but maybe that gives you a better picture of what it would look like! :wink: Since they had their own copy of the poem (first the print copy, then the cut and glued copy), they could follow along and read theirs as I read it from the guide's appendix.

I hope that helps a little! Have fun as your begin Beyond! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:39 am

We just did the plans as written and enjoyed it thoroughly! Look through the plans and you'll see you get to present things all different ways. Variety is the spice of life, and HOD sure plans for it for us teachers! Have fun with Beyond - we sure did! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie