combining DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kerby

combining DITHOR

Post by kerby » Wed May 14, 2008 7:59 am

Hi~

I haven't been here in a while, I'm trying to cut beck my computer time. :roll: :wink:

I am looking at DITHOR for ds in gr 7 next yr. I will have another ds in gr 5. Could he use the 6/7/8 pkg, too? What's the difference between the Student Books for gr 4/5 and 6/7/8? I am also thinking about getting the Project Book to go along but was thinking I could combine.

K

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed May 14, 2008 8:33 am

I'm not sure about the levels since we won't start DITHOR until next school year...I ordered level 4/5 for ds 10 in 5th next year, and I did order the project book (level 6/7/8 b/c 4/5 is out of print?) as it will give a third choice on project day. I'm sure you'll get a clear answer from Carrie soon. :)

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed May 14, 2008 8:58 am

Kerby, I have both the 4/5 and 6/7/8 student books. 4/5 is a good bridge. If your child is not used to working indepedently the lessons are written to have "some" parent direction and lots of independent. 6/7/8 is written to be used independently.

I think it depends on your child. I am using this with my 10th grader and I am actually considering using the 4/5 for the first genre we are doing. Just so I can help set the "tone" of what I expect from him. We will probably then move into 6/7/8.

OTOH, my 12 year old son who is an independent learner/thinker would have no problem moving into 6/7/8.

When you get your new catalog, Carrie has samples pages of all three student books, laid out right next to each other. I think that will give you a better understanding.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

kerby

Post by kerby » Wed May 14, 2008 9:11 am

Thanks, Mary. I guess I may have to use the 4/5 for my oldest first. Has anyone used these after CLE?

I am looking forward to the catalog. I haven't received it yet. How long should I wait? (I'm in Northern New England.)

K

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 15, 2008 3:12 pm

Kerby,

For your 7th grader, as long as that kiddo is pretty independent, I would do level 6/7/8. For your 5th grader, I would do level 4/5. If you wanted to combine them in a level, you would be better off doing both in 4/5. :D

Level 6/7/8 is even used by moms as credit for a Freshman introduction to literature course, so it is quite meaty. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

kerby

Post by kerby » Thu May 15, 2008 4:36 pm

Thanks, Carrie. This helps a LOT!

K