New here...introducing myself!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Welcome Katie,

I understand what you are saying about the wanting the safty net feeling. I will also be using Beyond with my 5 year old and Little Hands with my 3 year old next year. I am currently using Little Hearts and it amazes me how much my son has really learned this year.

A couple of examples. We were at a friends church and they had the parents in the Children's program for the day. One question they asked the kids was about Jericho. It was a few months before that we studies this and my son was able to tell the entire story without any help. Then last week we picked up some lacing cards and he told me he was sewing like Betsy Ross. We read about her 2 weeks ago. He also knew that she sewed the American flag and other facts about the flag at the time. I share these things with you to encourage you that although the lessons are short they really to get through to the kids. I would never have thought it possible for little ones to know or remember as much as they do.

I will be praying that you will have peace about your curriculum decision. I know this is big for all of us.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed May 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Katie,
First welcome!
I think most good moms are afraid of messing up their kids. It means you care. I posted a comment on your site, but I'll quickly mention it again. Most people would remember something they’ve done or a good book they’ve enjoyed months (or years) later. But most couldn’t give you the facts that are found in a textbook after the test is over. I hope you find a decision you can be with peace at and that your son with thrive in.
Crystal
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Katie

Post by Katie » Wed May 14, 2008 2:37 pm

Karen & Crystal - it is so amazing how much kids can memorize and retain!! I totally agree that kids will learn so much more from reading great books, that from cramming text book info into them! That was one of the main reasons my husband and I decided to go with HOD! We definitly believe they will learn more than a traditional approach! Thanks for sharing your real-life examples Karen, it is very encouraging!!
In Christ,
Katie

Married 14 years
Kids: Trevor - 12, Zoe - 10, Felicity - 2

We have gone through all guides 1-2 times from LHTH through REVtoREV, including DITHOR, from 2008-present
We are currently using CTC, MTMM, & DITHOR for 2014-2015

Amey

Welcome!

Post by Amey » Wed May 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Katie! :!:

I just wanted to welcome you too! I am a newbie as well and will be starting LHFHG with my first grader and letting my 4 year old tag along with some supplementary stuff. Sounds like our kiddos are the same age. Both of my boys have B-days in June, they will be six and four and then I have a 5 mo. old son as well. :)

My son fit the "ready for Beyond" description on the placement page as well, but since I wanted to combine my boys, I decided it would be easier for me to beef up the program for my six yr. old and just keep them separate for math and LA. 8)

Anyway, I'm a Texan too from the Hurst, Euless, Bedford area (near Arlington) but my husband and I serve as missionaries in Jalisco Mexico with an organization called YWAM. I feel so excited like you to be on this new adventure this year with HOD. I just felt very strongly led by God as you said! So awesome! :D

Glad you're here!
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

Katie

Post by Katie » Wed May 14, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi Amey! That is neat ours are so close in age - and I am in FTW! I have a great friend who is leaving next Jan to be missionaries in MX with the IMB!
In Christ,
Katie

Married 14 years

We have gone through all guides 1-2 times from LHTH through REVtoREV, including DITHOR, from 2008-present

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed May 14, 2008 5:44 pm

Welcome, Katie! :D Isn't it amazing how God "surprises" us when we think we know where we're headed? I am so glad that we are privileged to have a personal relationship with the Lord...and that I can look back and see the amazing way He puts things in my path. I too am sooo excited to be able to use HOD as I teach my children academically, and more importantly spiritually! The focus on the Lord is my top priority...and I love the way it's put together to be easy to use...and so fun! We're going to have a blast this year! So glad that you've joined us!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed May 14, 2008 6:54 pm

Katie wrote:Water2wine - yes! You got it! That is how I feel! So worried that we will get to high school and I will have made all of the wrong decisions and totally messed up my kids!!!! Thanks for your encouragement. All of my worries are just a result of not trusting God, and foolishly thinking it is all in my hands - and its NOT - thank the Lord!
It's not in our hands, luckily. 8) When you think about it though how much better prepared they will be for having been taught to really learn not just fill in the bubble on the test, even if you did happen to miss something. And think how much better it is going to be that if there is something you need to slow down on until they get it, you are free to do that. But honestly I think that you do worry just shows you will do a great job. And along the way what I love is that HOD lets us make some precious memories. That matters too.

I have no idea who said this but someone wiser than myself said it is not that we need to worry that we will miss things or not. We can't possibly teach them everything, so count on missing somethng. We really just have two jobs. We just need to help them truly know the Lord intimately and teach them how to think. If they have those two things it does not matter what you miss the gaps will be covered anyway.

HOD is very complete though. You don't have to worry Carrie is extremely thorough and all the bases are covered. You'll see that you will be able to relax. HOD becomes a safety net and that allows you to just enjoy the journey. 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed May 14, 2008 10:15 pm

Welcome to HOD! We used Beyond...for 1st grade and are finishing this year for second (long story!). I think you will love it...we can't wait to move into Bigger...when we finish this year. I'm looking forward to getting to know you here, and hearing how it goes for your family.

We started LHTH a few weeks ago with my ds4, and we LOVE it, too. It's so much fun, doesn't take long, and he is truly learning! You're gonna have a great introductory year to HOD! :D

Katie

Post by Katie » Thu May 15, 2008 8:27 am

water2wine - thanks for all of your great advice! You are so right on!

inhistiming - so nice to meet you, thanks for your encouraging comment!

Thanks to all of you for your welcomes and advice! I am going to really enjoy talking to all of you! I am very excited to start this next year with HOD!
Last edited by Katie on Thu May 15, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Christ,
Katie

Married 14 years

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 15, 2008 11:21 am

I just wanted to say "hi" to you, Katie! You are going to thoroughly enjoy using HOD's curriculums. As you've already found, this board is full of awesome, faith-filled ladies, and I'm so glad you are now a part of this. Glad you are here!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

tmcg

Welcome, Katie! Curriculum Discussion....

Post by tmcg » Thu May 15, 2008 1:55 pm

I am new to HOD, too. We have not purchased our curriculum, but I have spoken to Carrie on the phone to get some assistance in choosing curriculum. We previously tried BJU and switched to MFW K. BJU (very similar to ABeka) is very schoolish, but remember those curriculums are created for use in Christian schools. I found it difficult to implement the discusssions or activities designed for a group of children when I was dealing with my 5 yo (K), 3 yo (turned 4 in Feb) and my now almost 2 yo. I also was overwhelmed by all the workbook pages and the constant assistance I had to provide, plus the time it took. I was hating HS.

With MFW there was a bit of an improvement without all the workbooks that took up a whole shelf on the bookcase. The problem was I was disappointed in the lack of Biblical integration. One verse for the lesson was less than I was hoping althought the application was great. The TM was confusing for my detailed brain. I also found once my daughter started the program that she knew more than her letters and could read simple words, which made learning the letters too easy. Writing them is where she needed practice but it was driving us both crazy trying to either choose between what was too easy, too challenging (for her, so it was miserable) or the non-existant math. When it comes to science, I just didn't have time to get the supplies or do the major project or the energy to try and think of an alternative.

I loved the "living books" concept, but if I couldn't make it to the library then I had to postpone HS, putting us behind. If I got too many ahead then I'd be late returning them because I kept them too long. (Can you believe I actually had $54.00 in library late fees for returning the wrong books early and the other late.....I got mixed up which books needed to go back to which library first. I felt like a criminal they were going to forward it to a collection agency!) There were some great things about MFW, but it seemed to require more prep than I could handle with 3 little ones.

I am hoping HOD will be a nice balance...some table work, some reading of books, lots of Biblical application and yet not a lot of prep for a tired mommy! I think in my head I can imagine how I'd like HS to be, but just couldn't find it. The really hard part is that neither MFW nor HOD attends any of the covnentions in our area, so I didn't have the opportunity to touch it, look at it and really understand it. BJU I got to look at and if I had the knowledge I have now, I wouldn't have bought it. Oh, we had Preschool program from Abeka, but I don't count that since I barely used it w/ my younger daughter. I have not done anything yet with the little guy (2 yo), thinking of MFW Toddler Package (as it only has manipulatives and might be fun.....any thoughts?) :D

We plan to use "Little Hands" with my 4 yo and "Little Hearts" with my almost 6 yo and do 1st grade. We try and catch up on the K stuff we missed and progress what she is already comfortable with. I have to choose the items where options are given. I do need a little help with that, though. :?

Well, I think even though there is no perfect curriculum and you have to choose what works for your family, if you have enough a few doubts w/ Abeka you are should switch. That "schoolish" approach works for a few people, but those folks LOVE it because it is comfortable, doesn't require actvities and they want their children to be independent w/ school. If you have doubts, it is probably not right for you and lets face it - it's very EXPEN$IVE if you are aren't in love with it. Ya know?

I look forward to hearing how it goes for you and I am excited to order our curriculums soon. Any help with the choices part would be helpful.

Many blessings to you!
Tammy
(tmcg)
Mom to Daughter (soon-to-be 6), Daughter (4 yo), Son (soon-to be 2)

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Thu May 15, 2008 2:50 pm

Welcome Tammy! I'm using Little Hearts with my son who will be 6 yo in October. We're in our 3rd week and are loving every minute of it. We've taken the past two days off as I have been administering achievement tests to our church homeschool kids, but we'll be back at it tomorrow. He's particularly keen to find out what happens to Reddy Fox next :lol: I'm amazed at the changes I've seen in him after just 2.5 weeks completed of Little Hearts. He's comprehending better, though still not great, but that's one of the reasons I went with Little Hearts--to prepare him for the more meaty books like Beyond.....and well, beyond 8) Since I've just been through the process of choosing and buying myself, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions I can!

Again, welcome aboard, you won't be sorry.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

Katie

Post by Katie » Thu May 15, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi Tammy!
Thanks for your message. I had a similar experience with MFW this past year. I can totally relate. I ended up cutting so much of it out because it was too simple, and my son kept saying, "mooooooooom, I already know this!" (He sounds like a little teenager already!) :lol: He was bored and annoyed with a lot of it. What he did enjoy was reading the books from the library, and doing some of the projects recommended. That is what he learned the most from, and retained the most info from. For example with the apple lesson, we bought one of every kind of apple from the grocery store, and tasted every one, then made apple sauce, and apple pie with what was left! Those types of things were fun, and both kids loved it. He still to this day, shows me where the flower "used to be" on the apple, when it was on the tree. They also loved having the ant farm and the butterflies. But of course, there isnt always time to do the big projects.

So, seeing first hand the things we did that he loved, shows me that a Charlotte Mason approach to learning does work best! Why I doubted that, I am not totally sure, except that for some odd reason, I felt safe with a more traditional approach. :?:

To answer your question about your toddler...I personally wouldnt buy anything. What I did with my 2-3 year old last year was create a master list of activities she could do, while older one had school. I researched things on the internet. So, when I needed an activity for her, I just looked at my list. I had things like, playing with playdough; having a big box with rice in it, and measuring cups, bowls, spoons, etc, to play with; 2 bowls and beans, and she would scoop beans from one bowl to the other with a spoon; special coloring pages for school time; play food; blocks; wood puzzles, etc... These "special" things were only pulled out at school time.

It was so great to meet you, thanks for your thoughts!
In Christ,
Katie

Married 14 years

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 15, 2008 3:50 pm

Welcome Tammy and Katie too! :D

It's wonderful to see so many new faces on the board and to see so many of you ladies we've already gotten to know too! I love to get together here and listen to the great conversations going on. You ladies are the best! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

tmcg

Re: Welcome

Post by tmcg » Thu May 15, 2008 10:13 pm

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post and for all the welcomes.

Tammy