THANK YOU to the notebooking designer!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

THANK YOU to the notebooking designer!!

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu May 03, 2012 7:39 pm

I just got our HOD box today and the CTC notebooking pages are gorgeous! Literally took my DD's breath away...she gasped, held her breath in excitement, and walked off staring at them in awe. She asked if she could start TONIGHT. AT 8:30pm.

Carrie, tell your design guy he has done an incredible job. It's really amazing!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

lmercon

Re: THANK YOU to the notebooking designer!!

Post by lmercon » Thu May 03, 2012 9:00 pm

AND, may I just say, they will only look BETTER as your dd fills them in. She will be so excited to look back at her completed notebook pages. My ds just loves them.
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

alliclaymoore

Post by alliclaymoore » Sat May 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Ooh, that is making me look forward even more to when we get to CTC! We are only in the beginning of Preparing right now, so we have a little way to go.

Blessings!
Allison
Wife to Clay
Mommy to Rachel (Preparing ), Luke (Beyond), and Sarah (LHTH)

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Sat May 05, 2012 4:13 pm

My oldest is about to start Preparing in a few weeks, and I'm really looking forward to this program. I've heard such great things about it.

BUT ... I have to say that the notebooking pages for CTC on up look so very appealing, that I'm looking ahead with great anticipation to those guides! :)
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Sat May 05, 2012 9:47 pm

may I just say, they will only look BETTER as your dd fills them in.
My DD starts CTC next fall and I am really hoping her pages turn out better than my boys'. Two of my boys did RTR this year. I was so excited when I saw the beautiful notebooking pages. Then they started writing on them in their not-so-neat handwriting, sometimes in wildly-colored pens, crossing out their mistakes and writing their corrections... :( Apparantly they have spatial issues because they either write a tiny sentence up in the corner of the box or they run out of room and write outside of the lines! :shock: They were never able to fit their written narrations into the box, so they started typing them, cutting it out, taping it in. Unfortunately, several times they have taped them on the wrong unit. Then they pulled them back out (taking quite a bit of page with them) and put them on the right unit. Sigh... :?

In the beginning, it was all I could do not to grab that book and start notebooking for them! :oops:

Recovering Perfectionist:
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon May 07, 2012 5:39 am

MicheleW wrote:
In the beginning, it was all I could do not to grab that book and start notebooking for them! :oops:

Recovering Perfectionist:
I won't say that's not me too :oops: I've already vowed to leave the room during notebooking and painting assignments. ;)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Liberty Carriage

Post by Liberty Carriage » Mon May 07, 2012 5:45 am

My daughter used to write all her assignments in pencil lightly and then go back over them with a thin sharpie marker. After that, she would erase the lines. The sharpies do not smear.

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 pm

My ds only uses pencil or colored pencils for the notebook pages. He also uses a ruler to make light lines so that he writes straight. His pages look great!
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon May 07, 2012 2:01 pm

I thought about the sharpie idea, but then decided it's like having her do it twice and she dawdles enough :D

I have no idea why I didn't think of making very light lines! Her spelling is an issue though, so maybe I"ll let her write in pencil and then I'll trace over with a sharpie for now.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Tue May 08, 2012 1:41 pm

My daughter used to write all her assignments in pencil lightly and then go back over them with a thin sharpie marker. After that, she would erase the lines.
My ds only uses pencil or colored pencils for the notebook pages. He also uses a ruler to make light lines so that he writes straight. His pages look great!
Yeah...I don't have those kind of boys.
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Tue May 08, 2012 2:03 pm

My son does not tend to care very much about neatness, so I'm imagining is CTC notebooking pages will not look terribly neat. BUT ... I'm mainly interested in him really learning, so as long as he's "getting" the information, it will be okay with me if the pages are not picture perfect (or somewhat sloppy, as the case may end up being). Now, when my current 8 year old gets to CTC, hers will probably be beautiful, but she loves detail work and has just started learning calligraphy for fun!
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue May 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Heart_Mom wrote:My son does not tend to care very much about neatness, so I'm imagining is CTC notebooking pages will not look terribly neat. BUT ... I'm mainly interested in him really learning, so as long as he's "getting" the information, it will be okay with me if the pages are not picture perfect (or somewhat sloppy, as the case may end up being). Now, when my current 8 year old gets to CTC, hers will probably be beautiful, but she loves detail work and has just started learning calligraphy for fun!
I hope we get to see samples of hers! :)

My daughter is taking care to write pretty nicely in hers. She's very sloppy honestly and it takes a great deal and she's a perfectionist....so I agreed I'd type her words for her for now and print. Then as she learns to type this year, I'll let her type and print. She cut it out and pastes it in the box. As the year goes on, we'll gravitate toward more writing herself. It's not that the writing is too much...it's that hers is soooooo sloppy and it takes sooooo long if she wants it neat. LOL I'm not that patient. I'm really pleased with how her pages are turning out so far...and the painting...and everything else!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Tue May 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Mom2Monkeys wrote: I hope we get to see samples of hers! :)
I'd be happy to share! It'll be a while, though, until she gets to CTC ... at least 2 1/2 years probably! (I like to do the guides at the later end of the age spectrum.) :D

I like your idea of printing out the information for the boxes. Maybe we'll do that sometimes when my son gets to CTC next year. :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Julie recommended erasable Sharpie pens.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Tue May 08, 2012 7:52 pm

netpea wrote:Julie recommended erasable Sharpie pens.
Hmmmm... I didn't know such an item even existed. Interesting! :D Thanks for posting this!
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9