A Child's Geography

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
1inheaven

A Child's Geography

Post by 1inheaven » Wed May 02, 2012 10:01 am

I enjoy the perspective and the info in this however, we are having trouble retaining the info...not just my child but me also somewhat--while reading it to my daughter. Any input as to how to retain the info better? We had similar problems with CHOW in Preparing but I changed the way I was reading it and helped alot. Can't seem to get it with this geo book. Any input would be appreciated as we are going into Geo Vol 1 in RTR...and looking forward to it I might add :-)

Love HOD! Sarah in TX
Sarah in TX, starting year 5 homeschooling and loving it :-)
DD, 13 - MTMM, No-Nonsense Algebra, R&S 6, DITHOR, Monday co-op
DD, 7 - BLHFHG, Monday co-op

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: A Child's Geography

Post by Carrie » Wed May 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Sarah,

Depending on how well your daughter reads, it may be an option for both of you to silently read the text and then do the discussions at the end. :D Often kiddos retain better when they read their own material. :D I know that we tried it both ways at our house, sometimes reading aloud and sometimes having each person read it on his/her own, and my boys preferred to read it themselves. I know I am a visual learner and I retain much better when I read to myself than when I listen to someone else read aloud. Auditory skills don't come as naturally to me! :wink:

Charlotte Mason advocated that kiddos aged 9 on up who can read their own material should, so assuming that your daughter is at least 9 since she is in CTC, then it would be fine to give this method a try and see if it helps! :D Reading to oneself also allows each reader to linger over those areas that he/she finds most interesting, which helps engage the reader more. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed May 02, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm glad you asked this! we aren't in this boat yet but as.we prepare to start CTC soon, I never would have thought to let my DD read it on her own while.I do the same since it's a "T" box. I know that's the route we will need to go and I'm.thankful you asked this so I can start out that way instead of floundering the other way foe a few weeks first!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

mom23

Post by mom23 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Mom2Monkeys wrote:I'm glad you asked this! we aren't in this boat yet but as.we prepare to start CTC soon, I never would have thought to let my DD read it on her own while.I do the same since it's a "T" box. I know that's the route we will need to go and I'm.thankful you asked this so I can start out that way instead of floundering the other way foe a few weeks first!
Me, too!! Thanks :)
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing