DITHOR Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
scampbell2003

DITHOR Question

Post by scampbell2003 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 pm

I am reading through the guide and it says you can do a phonics lesson or vocabulary lesson on certain days. Can someone explain this to me or link me to this being answered in another thread? I looked in the Appendix for the Vocab pages you can use. Are you suppose to use them consecutively?
Samantha wife to Matt 11 years!

Mom to
Madison DD 10 5th grade Bigger Hearts
Colin DS 8 2nd grade Little Hearts
Logan DS 4 Pre PreK Little Hands
Evan DS almost 2

funkmomma71

Re: DITHOR Question

Post by funkmomma71 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:25 pm

I use the vocab sheets in a round robin fashion. They're in a binder and I take one out, copy it, and then put it at the bottom and then move on to the next one, next time. Hopefully that makes sense. :wink:
Last edited by funkmomma71 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

scampbell2003

Post by scampbell2003 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:16 am

Okay so how do I know which to use phonics, vocab, or both? Sorry I am coming from BJU and Abeka and they just told you what to do. They didn't work well for us taking to much time to complete. I am using all HOD recommendations. Was reading through DITHOR the other night and saw this activity. I am assuming she will just need the vocab but how do I know if that is the right thing? She is reading well and will be in 3rd grade. Reading level is about 5th to 6th grade. However I find that she guesses a lot when reading on her own. I think she just come up with what sounds like it will work and doesn't take the time to read the word. If she takes her time she can figure it out. Is this a bad habit and how do I get her to stop guessing when reading on her own. I have told her to come and ask me if she has a question and sometimes she does. I am grateful she is loving to read. I am sure DITHOR will help with some of this. Thanks for the help :D

Mom to
Evan DS almost 2

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Samantha,

In answer to your question about how to do the vocabulary sheets within DITHR, I first agree that from what you've shared (with a child reading at the 5th-6th grade level), there is no need to do further phonics. :D Kiddos who do not have good decoding skills typically cannot get past a 4th grade reading level (as by then their sight word memorization word bank fills up and then the fact that they cannot decode reveals itself). :wink:

It isn't uncommon for kiddos to guess at words once they start reading at a higher-level and at a faster speed. Guessing is easier than decoding! :wink: In order to help her, I would have her read at least several pages aloud to you each day from her DITHR book. If she misses a word, by guessing incorrectly, point to the word on the page. Typically, you may not even have to say anything, as the pointing may stop her and cause her to reread (especially if you continue pointing to the word until she rereads it). I would also photocopy the Reading Strategies': Student List in the Appendix of DITHR, so she has it by her as she reads. Point out to her that guessing a word is a strategy on the list but that she should use many of the other strategies first before guessing. The list really helps kiddos see that there is more than one strategy to use when you come to a word you do not know! :D

As far as the vocabulary sheets go, I would use the sheets in the Appendix of DITHR in a round-robin fashion the way that funkmomma suggested. This will give your child a variety of strategies to practice with vocabulary (as each sheet works on a different strategy). :D The great part is that your little honey will be learning these strategies and improving her vocabulary right through the books she is already reading for DITHR, which makes vocabulary exercises so much more meaningful. :D

Happy reading! We are just finishing our last genre for the year of DITHR, which for us happens to be historical fiction. My 7th grader is reading Winter Holiday (from our brand-new Boy 7/8 pack) and my 3rd grader is reading Pioneer Cat (with Hannah soon to come) from the DITHR 2 Pack. Both are enjoying their books. We pray you will enjoy DITHR as much as we do! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

scampbell2003

Post by scampbell2003 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Thank you Carrie so much for answering! That helps tremendously! I am really looking forward to starting DITHOR with my DD. She loves to read! I have the Level 2 reading pack as well! The books look really good. I wasn't sure which one to choose but the books I think she will really enjoy. Its okay to do lower level right? At least to start out with. Thanks Again!

Mom to
Evan DS almost 2