Choosing Curriculum?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
waitinon08

Choosing Curriculum?

Post by waitinon08 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:01 pm

I am very new to homeschooling all together and we love it. The Lord has without question set our family up to really tap into the Christ-centered home-school world and at the same time go out a reach people for His kingdom! I am sure this question has been asked before about HOD curriculum, however here goes again :? Does one need to purchase each subject or can we pick the three or four subjects that we (parents) might struggle in. Our 5th grader will also be taking an out of the house Science program next year so I will not need that subject either. All in all I was hoping to purchase, Bible, Grammar, Math, Writing/Reading and Spelling if available. We currently use Story of the World and our son LOVES it, so wanted to stick with that for history again next year. Any help and or suggestions? Thanks in advance :D

lissiejo

Re: Choosing Curriculum?

Post by lissiejo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:16 pm

The guide will contain instructions for all subjects, but it is up to you what you do! However, I think if you skip the history, you're missing the core of the program. You can certainly choose what you wish, but it is the heart of the program and is very Christ-centered. The nice thing about homeschooling is you can pick what you feel is best for your child. I hope all goes well for you!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:26 am

waitinon08 wrote: All in all I was hoping to purchase, Bible, Grammar, Math, Writing/Reading and Spelling
I have only used Bigger, Preparing and RTR, but a lot of the Christ-centered nature of the program is in the History. I know Story of the World is Christian as well, but I have used Vol 1 and Vol 2, and HOD history is a whole new level of understanding how history and the Bible weave together and how Christ is part of everything we are learning. It is pretty easy to switch out one or two subjects (we do Abeka math because we were already using that), but if you don't do the history, you really won't get much of the Christ-centered message that you are looking for. There are several good Bible courses and Christian LA courses if that is all you're looking for. The math in HOD is Singapore which you do not need the HOD guide to do. The LA is mainly Drawn into the Heart of Reading, Rod & Staff grammar, and Dictation Day by Day. Some of the higher guides also add in a separate writing curriculum, like "Write With The Best." None of this requires the guide. The guide mainly says "Do Lesson 42 from Rod&Staff Grammar" or "Do one lesson from Drawn into the Heart of Reading."

I really think it would be a waste to purchase the guide just for the Bible lesson. Just my opinion. Obviously, I don't want to discourage you away from HOD which I think is amazing if you are looking for a curriculum which weaves Christ through everything. My DC were 10th, 7th, 5th, and 4th grade when we finally found HOD, and I wish I had been doing it all along. It is what I had always wanted for my homeschool, but didn't know existed. I thought I had to piece together curriculum (like SOTW) in order to achieve. It is so great to finally have it all planned for me in a way that my children love, is Christ-centered and is easy to use.

God bless you as you make your choice. Remember to pray about it. (The totally obvious plan which I so often forget!)
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

waitinon08

Post by waitinon08 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Thank you so much for your responses! I am excited about looking into the HOD program :D