Intro and placement question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
chargemom2002

Intro and placement question

Post by chargemom2002 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi! My name is Alissa and I’m mom to 5 great kids. My oldest is a Jr. at UNLV majoring in biology and I have 4 little ones (9,7,5,4) still at home.

I have poured through these posts looking for an answer to my question but find myself still unsure as to what to do.

We are currently 1/3 of the way through MFW ECC for 9dd and MFW1st for 7ds. It’s going fairly well but I’m not thrilled with all the prep time and I don’t really want to go on to CTG. So when they’re finished we will be starting Bigger for both.

My question is in regards to my 5ds (6 in Aug) and 4dd (5 in Nov). I tried to have 5ds tag along in MFW1st but it was too much for him. He is very smart but has hearing and vision impairments and fine and gross motor delays as well as speech delays (because of his hearing). Currently the three of us do lots of story time and play with our Lauri toys but that’s about it. I really feel we should be doing more, as both are ready (especially for phonics). But I have been hesitant to add another program to my already full day. This led me to HOD. When I saw that Little Hands took only 30 min a day, I was thrilled. It’s right on target for 4dd but 5ds is really ready for Little hearts however, 90 min would probably be too much for me until the olders are in one program together.

So, do I start Little Hands with the smallers to prepare 4dd, potentially holding 5ds back (although maybe “something” is better than nothing?) or should I drag 4dd along in Little Hearts doing only 1 page per day (for time reasons)?

My goal really is to do the best for all while keeping my sanity with less programs, scheduling issues, and prep time. HOD seems like just what I have been looking for and I only wish I’d found it sooner. This board seems very encouraging and friendly and any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Sorry this was so long but I keep going back and forth through the sample pages (I printed them all out) and I think I’ve spun myself dizzy.
Alissa in Las Vegas
mom to
dd 20
dd 9
ds 7
ds 5
dd 4

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu May 08, 2008 6:16 pm

Well, my first question is, have you looked at the placement chart? Here is the link if you haven't:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php
This will really help you determine in which guide your son 'falls'. If he knows his alphabet and letter sounds already you may want to begin with Little Hearts...but where does dd place?

My opinion, mostly because this is what I ended up doing, although I don't have two youngers, just one who is 4 (5 in June) is this: Order LHTH. The Bible is wonderful, the fingerplays and various letter activities are truly enjoyed by my son. He knows his letters, but needed work on the sounds, and he really likes to glue cheerios on the letter, or play the 'Hide and Seek' games that are in LHTH. He loves the music, and the devotional that is done once per week is great too. I think it's easier to 'beef up' the program than to try to adjust it down for a younger child; there are ladies here that do that though, and I'm sure they will give you their 2 cents as well! :wink: I plan to start doing a notebook with ds for science, with different types of animals' names, adding pictures and reading books about them....nothing terribly advanced. So, if you wanted to do a bit extra you could do that with LHTH,; it may be a bit difficult if time is a problem and you tried to do both programs, and I'm afraid dd would just be pulled along.

I just have to say, it's tough sometimes homeschooling the three kids I have now. I admire those of you who have more children that are doing such a great job with it! I'm sure you'll find the right fit. And others will be along to help you out too. Maybe get back with us about the placement; that will help us to answer your question more fully. :?

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu May 08, 2008 6:52 pm

First of all...welcome! :D Once you get all your kiddos plugged into HOD, your life should become much easier. I agree with pp....my hat's off to you moms who have so many kiddos spread out and still do a terrific job with school! 8)

I hesitate to try to help.... there have been many moms on here lately who have started in one program and then backed down to the lower level. HOD programs are much more meaty than they appear on the site. :wink: I think I would just give Little Hands a shot and then add some ETC primers or go ahead and start The Reading Lesson for your 5 yo. It would be much easier for you to add a bit to Little Hands, than to have your 4yo be not getting much out of Little Hearts. The history readings and storytime readings do require longer attention spans and higher vocabulary skills.

I have 3 very close (15 mo. apart) much like your 2, and I waited until my twins were 6yo and my dd was 5yo to start Little Hearts, and it has been just perfect.

Best of luck with your decisions!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu May 08, 2008 9:36 pm

Welcome Alissa! :D
LHTH is the only HOD program that I've used so far, but I just got Bigger and DITHOR that I plan to start using soon. I have to totally agree with Melanie...
Melanie wrote:HOD programs are much more meaty than they appear on the site. :wink:
I think I'd say to start with LHTH, too. (It's hard to give advice when it probably could work fine either way... :? ) If it were me, I'd do LHTH with both of them, and then add in some phonics for the 5 yo. I did not expect LHTH to be as "full" as it is when I got it! I think you'd love getting the chance to do it with your kids!

Nice to "meet" you!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

chargemom2002

Post by chargemom2002 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Thank you all so much for your encouragement and advice!

I did use the placement chart and dd kept falling into Little hands and ds into Little hearts. I reviewed it again and ds really could go either way on some things except reading, as he knows all his sounds and is already decoding. So using LHTH with phonics makes a lot of sense. Glad I thought of it. ; ) Thanks again for that advice!

After lots of talking with dh this morning we're going for LHTH. I will be using 100 EZ lessons because we already have had success with that and I am also going to get the singapore k books and see how that goes. It's so nice to have finally decided!

I can't thank you all enough for reminding to go slow! I look forward to getting to know you all better. Can't wait to make my first post in the weekly check in forum!!!
Alissa in Las Vegas
mom to
dd 20
dd 9
ds 7
ds 5
dd 4

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Fri May 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Hey Alissa...if you're going to do the eb singapore books, you may want to go ahead and get the guide for Little Hearts. Carrie has written some really fun math activities to go with the earlybird books. Then, next year, you will do Little Hearts and use the Beyond guide for math......clear as mud?!? :lol:

Sounds like you have a great plan!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

chargemom2002

Post by chargemom2002 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks Mel. :roll: Now I'm wondering if I should just take the tax refund check and buy the whole kit and caboodle. :lol:

Thanks again for the advice. Coming from moms that have used the program means so much.
Alissa in Las Vegas
mom to
dd 20
dd 9
ds 7
ds 5
dd 4

tmcg

Post by tmcg » Sat May 10, 2008 8:36 am

I just want to add that I have been in a similar situation. We are switching from MFW (although it sounds like you may keep your older ones with MFW...not sure). My oldest will be 6 in July and she knows her letters, sound and can sound out simple words 3-4 letters. We originally started out w/ BJU K5 (too many worksheets for me, too overwhelming, wasn't sure where were going and when I would know when we arrived). Then we started the MFW K program in January 2008. That was an improvement but with 3 yo (turned 4 yo in February) and a 1 1/2 yo (will be 2 in June) there was too much prep and learning each letter was too easy for her, there was not enough structured math (so I think she will need to cathch up a bit although she seems to do well w/ math for so little teaching), but needs to work on writing (she can write her name and some letters but struggles with this).

Then my 4 yo wanted to join us. She is highly motivated, does not have the attention span nor the fine motor skills to "keep up" and then is a distraction b/c she wants to do it but needs too much help. Someone then suggested HOD. I have not purchased it yet, but have done some research on it and then I called Carrie for some input. That conversation was very helpful. Just having her ask me questions helped me work through the right answers. My older daughter will be in Little Hearts as she did preschool at ages 3 & 4. My 4 yo has not done preschool and told me that she loves HS b/c she gets to color. So even though she wants to "write" she needs to have that time to be a preschooler and has not done any formal preschool program, so she will do Little Hands. We will need it for our 2 yo when he is old enough anyway. I have considered getting the MFW Preschool (for 2 & 3 yo) for him eventually (when funds permit or if I can find it used) as they have some nice manipulatives that my little guy may enjoy.

So, the bottom line is that I think going easier and supplementing is better so they can build their confidence not be overwhelmed and learn to love school. Then supplement them or if they are excelling maybe move them up to the next level half way through if they have completed everything from the first program. Without having actually implemented these programs and just soaking up all the information, the impression I get is that Little Hands is a K4 program (either preschool or early Kindergarten program) and Little Hearts is more like a K6 or 1st grade (or 2nd grade) depending on which science and math you use. The trick is figuring out what the program focuses on and where your child is at. I think when you are really stumped it is nice to talk to Carrie.

Also, I found it helpful to go to Amazon or other websites where you can look inside the books to get an idea of what it actually contains before buying it. I am doing this and that is how I decided between the reading curriculum portion. The Reading Lesson, for example, has more white space on the page and is less overwhelming to me (the "detail queen"). the other choice is more like 100 EZ Lessons which I could not tolerate although I have heard good things about it.

I am excited about the Bible/Devotions etc w/ HOD b/c I was disheartened at how little actual Bible Study was included w/ MFW. They incorporated the concepts quite nicely but it had one scripture and no real study. Just not what I was looking for.

Just my 2 cents.

Tammy :D

my2guys

Post by my2guys » Sat May 10, 2008 9:59 am

I remembered that we had a similar discussion on here a few weeks ago. Thought you might want to take a look at it too. :)

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/view ... highlight=
Sharon
2017-2018
Ben (14yo) 8th with MTMM
and
Sam (12yo) 6th with RTR
Have already used and enjoyed: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR & Rev to Rev

chargemom2002

Post by chargemom2002 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm

I ordered LHTH an all that goes with it!!!

Last night I had a long talk with my dh who keeps me grounded and reminds me, when I go astray, why we homeschool.

I see homeschooling as a journey and I have many years and paths to travel before I reach the end. I choose to meet each of my children exactly where they’re at, no pushing or pulling. With God as our center and focus we will end up in just the right spot. So, I will revel in this time when my children are young and open to the world. If they learn to read at 4 or 10, or have all their math facts down by “2nd grade” makes little difference. Whether they know God’s love and all His splendor and glory is what really matters to me.

Thank you all so much for going through this process with me. It has reminded me of what’s really important and of where I’m headed; giving me renewed strength and conviction.

Gods Blessings on you all!
Alissa in Las Vegas
mom to
dd 20
dd 9
ds 7
ds 5
dd 4

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 pm

That was beautiful! And a good reminder to all of us.....
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

my2guys

Post by my2guys » Sat May 10, 2008 8:10 pm

Melanie wrote:That was beautiful! And a good reminder to all of us.....
I agree. :D
Sharon
2017-2018
Ben (14yo) 8th with MTMM
and
Sam (12yo) 6th with RTR
Have already used and enjoyed: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR & Rev to Rev

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon May 12, 2008 8:57 pm

Alissa,

While I've been gone to the convention in Arlington, I was so blessed to see that the ladies have done an absolutely wonderful job of talking through your options with you! The women on this board are so good about uplifting and encouraging one another. :D

It sounds like you have a great plan in place and with your husband's blessing you can have a peace about your decision! :wink:

I just wanted to welcome you to the HOD boards. We're glad you're here. 8)

Blessings,
Carrie