Recordings for my little one

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
scampbell2003

Recordings for my little one

Post by scampbell2003 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:34 am

So I have been reading through the schedule thread and I am really curious about Carrie having her voice recorded of readings and nursery rhymes for her little one. I know she is busy so I didn't address her personally. But am wondering how to implement this. I have a 15mo old who does not sleep well for naps or bedtime. He always wants me or someone with him and hates his crib. I was thinking if I did some recordings of us (hubby and I) reading or singing he would be really pleased with that and could spend sometime in his crib that way. He has to be contained for his safety at this stage :lol: I left the room for one minute today and he was quick to climb onto the end table. I will also plan on having time for the older ones to alternate playtime with him.

So funny thing I don't have a tape/cd player and apparently need to get one. I was trying to think of how to record without one. If I did I would have to rely on a pc or mp3 player to play and we don't keep a pc in our room. Not to mention it would just go to sleep mode after a few minutes.

So any thoughts on what to record for him? I really just love this idea! :D
Samantha wife to Matt 11 years!

Mom to
Madison DD 10 5th grade Bigger Hearts
Colin DS 8 2nd grade Little Hearts
Logan DS 4 Pre PreK Little Hands
Evan DS almost 2

Tansy

Re: Recordings for my little one

Post by Tansy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Up front I want to make this suggestion first: You could visit your local thrift store and find a cheap tape recorder, buy a box of cheap tapes and do what I'm doing with my ipod for under 15$ :wink:
Now here is What I do:
Since I have an itouch and my kids have a old used bought on the cheap... ipod. Is I record it on my itouch and then download it to my itunes, which converts it to a "song" so to speak, then I can upload it to her ipod. The docking station allows it to be played back even in a contiguous loop.
I have recorded bible verses of blessings, School facts she just wasn't getting. And we upload the CD's of memory verses to their ipod and they go to sleep listening to them.

I also downloaded podcasts from storynory and story home (preview them tho they aren't all christian based!!).

Here's some links for you to read :-) so you get an idea of what we are doing. But mind you I had all this stuff already in the house.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2396#
You can use pretty much any ipod to record, as long as you have a microphone. See links below for ideas on what you need

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Microphone-i ... 376&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... lfe9wbdk_b

I'm not recommending you run out and buy an MP3 player since Personally I think a tape recording has fewer steps, and is far cheaper, but since I know how to use the tech and have the equipment this is the route we use. Clear as mud?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

scampbell2003

Post by scampbell2003 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Tansy thanks so much for all the details! :D So you use this for all the kids? I hadn't thought of that but that's a great idea. I use to have a ipod touch but it got stolen and so I gave my dock to my MIL. We haven't replaced it. Do you use the dock for all the kids or give the older ones earbuds?

Mom to
Evan DS almost 2

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Fisher Price makes MP3 players with microphones for kids. My toddler has one and it's great. It's been dropped so many times and still playing. Even dropped on Tile. My little ones love it. I would suggest investing in one. I just ripped some toddler kid CD's I had and added them. I also added story's from storynory.com
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

simplejoys

Post by simplejoys » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:12 pm

This sounds like a good idea. On a somewhat related note My almost 3 year old loves the bbc listen & play podcast. He listens to the whole show. I think they have shows geared to babies too.

scampbell2003

Post by scampbell2003 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks Ladies! I love the ideas :D

Mom to
Evan DS almost 2