Subject times in Rev2Rev

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MicheleW

Subject times in Rev2Rev

Post by MicheleW » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:10 am

Hi there,

I have seen suggested time allotments for each box for several of the guides. I was wondering if anyone has figured out about how long each subject takes for Rev2Rev. We will be doing this guide next year with the Signers and 50 States, so just trying to gauge how long the History portion will be.

Also, could anyone tell me more about the Inventor Study? Besides read the books, what do the students do in the notebook? About how much time a day or week does this study take?

Thanks for your help.
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

Heather4Him

Re: Subject times in Rev2Rev

Post by Heather4Him » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm interested in replies for this, too, since we have are doing Rev2Rev this upcoming school year. :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

tollhousemom

Post by tollhousemom » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:59 pm

I have this post bookmarked...not sure if this is how the times came out once the guide was put into use:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10230

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Thank you for that link! That was what I was looking for. Here is what Julie had listed for times:
"Left Side of Plans - Learning Through History
Reading about History: 25 min.
*Note: This may be longer on the written narration day, though this will balance out as there is no history project on the written narration day.
Storytime: 15-20 min.
History Project: 20 min.
Rotating box (Geography, Worthy Words, Timeline, Poetry): 10-20 min. (depending on length of poem and length of primary source document)
State Study: 20 min. (3 x a week)
*Note: One day will be shorter when there is no state study.
Independent History Study: 10-15 min. (longer on "Draw and Write" days)
2 hours (using the longest times)"
I don't see "The Signers" mentioned. Does anyone know how long this study takes? And is it every day?
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

tollhousemom

Post by tollhousemom » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:14 pm

From looking at the sample 1st week http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/Rev2Rev-first-week.pdf and the Introduction http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/Rev2Re ... uction.pdf I think "The Signers" is used once per week (listed as "Research") and takes the place of "Independent History Study" for that day. But I haven't used it yet! :-)

tollhousemom

Post by tollhousemom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:16 am

This is a link to Julie's RevtoRev schedule which also might help:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093&p=75641&hilit=schedule#p75641

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Thank you. That is what I needed to know. :D

I am using Rev2Rev for 9th grade, so I am adding to the Bible to make it credit worthy. I'm also adding Spanish. This is looking like a long day with history taking 2hours! I don't think Julie's schedule included the extension books either which we will be doing also. Hmmm...
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:14 pm

I believe Julie's son is 11. (ETA: It looks like your student doing RTR is 11. Will they be starting high school at 12?) My daughter will be 14 doing REV to REV for 9th grade. I am finding that my older children (extension age) take less time for some of the boxes. They tend to read, process, and write more quickly. I am still a little confused as to the storytime and extentions. I originally thought that the extensions took the place of the storytime for older students. I know one of you can help me with this.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:18 am

My son who is in RTR w/extension this year is 8th grade (he is 14.) Next year he will be 9th grade and by 15. Maybe you were looking at my other son who is in 11th grade. He is 17. He is just using RTR history as an elective as he had most of his required core classes done except English. Next year he will be doing PSEO.

The extension books do not take the place of anything in the guide; they are in addition to. But you are right, Julie's son is much younger than mine, so hopefully, it won't take 2 hours for just history.
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:59 pm

HeHe. I DID read that wrong! Thank you for the answer about the extentions.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.