Need to fill in a year

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
GinainMD

Need to fill in a year

Post by GinainMD » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:36 am

Hello everyone! I currently combine my two youngest girls in LHTH and plan to keep them together as they are only 15 months apart. They are almost finished. The younger of the two is not yet 4 so I am wanting to wait approximately a year to a year and a half to begin LHFHG. They will be 5 and 6 to start LHFHG. Combining them has worked out great so far. I'm at a total loss as to what to do in the mean time esp. since this will the kindergarten year for the older of the two. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. TIA
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

Heart_Mom

Re: Need to fill in a year

Post by Heart_Mom » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:51 am

You could do LHTH again. If you're using the younger options for the Bible stories and devotional, you could use the more advanced options...

Just a thought! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:57 am

I agree to do LHTH again with older options and add in the right side of LHFHG for your kindergartener. That way when you get to LHFHG you can use kindergarten options for your younger child and 1st grade options for your older child.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

mommadonna

Post by mommadonna » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi there! I am about to begin my dd's k year also. What I am planning on doing with her is to do the right side of LHFHG, focusing on the 3 r's for her K year and then going through LHFHG again for 1st doing both sides, using the 1st grade options. I think she may gain more from the Learning through History side if we wait unti 1st. Not to mention, I think this will establish a strong foundation in the 3 r's without adding too much for K. She is already slowly moving through The Reading Lesson, so we'll just add the fine motor skills/handwriting and EB math. I have not yet decided if we will do the Burgess books for K or wait till 1st. I am leaning towards waiting on those also. I will probably also do some LHTH with little brother, so the 2 of them can enjoy the activites and readings from that. We are also going through Beyond with my oldest, so she gets in on those activites and readings from time to time.

HTH!
Donna
ds7 Beyond
dd4 listening in, consuming workbooks, TRL and some of LHFHG
ds2 making us all laugh and eating erasers

GinainMD

Post by GinainMD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks ladies for the ideas to ponder. Still not sure which way I'm going to go with this. I am sure that I will be using the earlybird math and the handwriting program, a reason for handwriting I think, and we are already working our way through phonics with RME. decisions decisions.
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:06 pm

I do think you could use "The New Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes" and either "Big Thoughts for Little People", or "My ABC Bible Verses" (or both if you wanted), as well as phonics and the K options for LHFHG LA/Math with your older dd. I think this would be neat, as you could enjoy Bible history one more time (which we can never get too much of :D ), and you could really focus on the LA/math part of LHFHG with just your older dd. Then, the following year, you could focus on the LA/math K part of LHFHG with your younger dd when you do LHFHG. This would be really nice, as it would cut down on the comparison between the 2 of them, and give you time to focus on each of them separately in these key areas. FWIW, my mom read from the same 2 Bible storybooks to my sisters and me every single evening for at least 5 years when I was growing up. We called them the "orange book" and the "white book", and we looked forward to them the fifth time as much as we did the first time. They were very special to us, and we never grew tired of them. In fact, when my mom and dad finally had the funds to purchase more books, we didn't want her to stop reading our beloved orange and white books even then. She said, "Surely girls, you would like me to read something else now!" :lol: No, we didn't. We truly just loved our same Bible storybooks. :D It is amazing how Bible stories are that way - we were just born to love to read about our Creator I guess! So, I'd not worry about reading the Bible stories again. The girls will remember something different, learn something new, anyway. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:37 pm

I like Julie's ideas. There is a day once in a blue moon that, though we are smack dab in the middle of LHFHG, that I wonder what would happen if we switched back and just did the RH of LHFHG plus all of LHTH. It can not hurt to repeat the Bible stories, especially with slightly different Bibles. We've also read The Beginner's Bible every day for the past three years. It was a gift for us, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it's scheduled in the ER's. I don't think DD will mind reading them for herself by then. :)
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:55 am

I did phonics and Pre-K math books from Singapore in the 4-year-old year, but I'm not certain those are available anymore. They were the 1A and 1B earlybird Kindergarten books. I also did tracing handwriting only instead of the more formal A reason for Handwriting because my girl got so frustrated that she couldn't do it "right". The tracing handwriting was a good in between stage and gave her confidence instead of frustration.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 am

Sounds like you have a nice plan shaping up! :D Just wanted to share that HOD sells the Earlybird 1A and 1B books on their website. I just ordered ours from them! :D

Blessings as you plan out your year! :wink: