How Many Composition Books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooling6

How Many Composition Books

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:38 am

This year I uesed binders with tabs but next year I would like to use all compostion books. Could someone please tell me how many I would need for CtC and Res. to Ref. I don't have the Guides to look and see.

Thank you,
Linda<><
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

Homeschooling6

Re: How Many Composition Books

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:58 pm

There was a sale at Target, so I purchased four composition books because they were pretty. Now I'm wondering if she will need that many because of the HOD notebook that comes with the program. Yikes!
Composition Books for Annette
Composition Books for Annette
a.jpg (116.16 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

aspenskies

Post by aspenskies » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:27 am

Those are very pretty!

I was waiting to see the answer to this question. I decided to go ahead and buy a bunch of binders and composition books. They will all end up being used at some point. I actually will have to hide the composition books I want for school. :mrgreen:
Jean, loving homeschool mom to one and proud daycare provider
DS (13): Creation to Christ w/extension, DITHOR 6/7/8, TT7, R&S 5, ...
daycare bunch: Preschool Prep, plus more
http://dahomeschool.blogspot.com/

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 am

This is really one of those to each his own type of things. Everyone has different preferences. I think because I am a lefty that I have always chosen binders over composition books unless it was the marble composition books without spiral.
So here is what we have for CTC-
1 big 2 1/2 inch binder with tabs for each subject and tabs for the breakdown of the subjects. Some people like to have an individual 1 inch binder for history and science and geography.
I do like to have composition books for English, dictation, and the common place book. So we use 1 big binder with 3 composition books. I think a composition book for DITHOR would be good as well. I will probably have them keep their DITHOR that is wrote separately from the workbook in a composition book next year instead of loose leaf and put in the binder.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

andreamichele13

Post by andreamichele13 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Oh great....now I'm going to have to go to Target and buy some of those....just b/c I love supplies and those are super cute! haha. :)
ds, age 14
ds, age 8
dd, age 6
one on the way in September 2014!

aspenskies

Post by aspenskies » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Tidbits of Learning wrote:This is really one of those to each his own type of things. Everyone has different preferences. I think because I am a lefty that I have always chosen binders over composition books unless it was the marble composition books without spiral.
So here is what we have for CTC-
1 big 2 1/2 inch binder with tabs for each subject and tabs for the breakdown of the subjects. Some people like to have an individual 1 inch binder for history and science and geography.
I do like to have composition books for English, dictation, and the common place book. So we use 1 big binder with 3 composition books. I think a composition book for DITHOR would be good as well. I will probably have them keep their DITHOR that is wrote separately from the workbook in a composition book next year instead of loose leaf and put in the binder.
Thank you, Tidbits of Learning! This will be our first year with HOD, doing CtC. I am planning on using individual binders. I like the idea of using composition books for English, dictation/copywork, and DITHOR. I think I am going to use one for his math also. It will only be for working the problems. We are using Teaching Textbooks, so the answers will go onto the computer, but I think it might be nice to go back and look over past problems. I will have to wait until box day to learn more. I have been scouring the posts here and trying to learn all I can.

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:14 pm

This year with Preparing my boys are using a binder with tabs for each subject. I don't like the loose papers thus would like to switch to composition with the exception for copies I will make from the guide for dictation and the poems. Those I'll stick in a binder.

For Res. to Ref. I'm wondering will I need one for history and science or are all written narrations being written in the HOD Notebook? So far I have calculated a notebook for dictation, copywork and Rod & Staff English which is three, do I need anymore?

Same with CtC, so far I've calculated that I'll need one for dictation, copywork and R&S but am wondering if I'll need any for history or science.

I will also need a sketch book for each child, correct?

Sorry, if my first post wasn't very clear. Basically I want to know if I need 4, 5 or 6 composition books per child.

I would like to purchase these as they go on sale (because I want the pretty ones :wink: ).

Thank you,
Linda<><
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:17 pm

andreamichele13 wrote:Oh great....now I'm going to have to go to Target and buy some of those....just b/c I love supplies and those are super cute! haha. :)
I see you will also be using Res. to Ref. as well :D . I can't wait to get my dd started.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:25 pm

With CTC in history so far everything has been on the notebooking pages that come with it. All of our written narrations are on the notebooking set for history. So far for science we have made an animal tracks book (which you make with construction paper and typing paper), we copy lab sheets to do the experiments although I guess if you liked it better you could make your own lab sheets in a composition book, and we have weekly questions that could go in a composition book as well. We are still in the Zoology 3 book so I am not sure what is needed after that science book.
We have a sketch book, but we haven't needed it yet. You definitely need to get the right weight of watercolor paper though. It makes a big difference if you don't have the right weight paper.
If you like composition books better, then I would say you need
1. 1-2 binders for the history notebooking pages that come with CTC and for the science lab sheets
2. 5-6 composition books for science questions, dictation, english, dithor, math, and the common place book
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Tidbits of Learning wrote:With CTC in history so far everything has been on the notebooking pages that come with it. All of our written narrations are on the notebooking set for history. So far for science we have made an animal tracks book (which you make with construction paper and typing paper), we copy lab sheets to do the experiments although I guess if you liked it better you could make your own lab sheets in a composition book, and we have weekly questions that could go in a composition book as well. We are still in the Zoology 3 book so I am not sure what is needed after that science book.
We have a sketch book, but we haven't needed it yet. You definitely need to get the right weight of watercolor paper though. It makes a big difference if you don't have the right weight paper.
1. 1-2 binders for the history notebooking pages that come with CTC and for the science lab sheets
2. 5-6 composition books for science questions, dictation, english, dithor, math, and the common place book
Good point about the Lab Sheets, I forgot about those.

Thank you, now I'll know what to look for on my weekly trips to Target with dh (our date night).
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

andreamichele13

Post by andreamichele13 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Homeschooling6,

Yes, I will be starting with my ds12.5...he will be 13 in October. Are you starting in the fall, or will you be starting as soon as you get your box? I'm so excited to go ahead and start! I know I will want to as soon as I place my order! My son, on the other hand, will probably want the summer to be low key, of course! :)

Andrea
ds, age 14
ds, age 8
dd, age 6
one on the way in September 2014!

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:04 pm

andreamichele13 wrote:Homeschooling6,

Yes, I will be starting with my ds12.5...he will be 13 in October. Are you starting in the fall, or will you be starting as soon as you get your box? I'm so excited to go ahead and start! I know I will want to as soon as I place my order! My son, on the other hand, will probably want the summer to be low key, of course! :)

Andrea
Andrea, my dd will have just turned 13. She has a Sept. birthday :D . We won't start until next school year in the fall. I would love to start now but can't afford it yet. Hopefully I'll get to order in June, so I can take my time looking it over. I also want her to finish up with her current stuff. Right now she is studying American History and using Writing with Style which I think will help prepare her for the writing in RtR. She does well with narration and all but just want to make sure, since this will be her first year with HOD.

I'm really excited.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

aspenskies

Post by aspenskies » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:07 pm

Tidbits of Learning wrote:With CTC in history so far everything has been on the notebooking pages that come with it. All of our written narrations are on the notebooking set for history. So far for science we have made an animal tracks book (which you make with construction paper and typing paper), we copy lab sheets to do the experiments although I guess if you liked it better you could make your own lab sheets in a composition book, and we have weekly questions that could go in a composition book as well. We are still in the Zoology 3 book so I am not sure what is needed after that science book.
Wonderful! Thank you so much for your help...again! I bought 10 composition books (not the fun, pretty ones :cry: ~ my son would not appreciate those :mrgreen: ) and a bunch of binders. I have 90lb watercolor paper. Would that work?

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:19 pm

aspenskies wrote:
Wonderful! Thank you so much for your help...again! I bought 10 composition books (not the fun, pretty ones :cry: ~ my son would not appreciate those :mrgreen: ) and a bunch of binders. I have 90lb watercolor paper. Would that work?
With my boys I did find some more 'manly' ones :mrgreen: but I haven't purchased any yet for them. Now that I know how many they will need I'll start collecting :D
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

aspenskies

Post by aspenskies » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:52 pm

With my boys I did find some more 'manly' ones :mrgreen: but I haven't purchased any yet for them. Now that I know how many they will need I'll start collecting :D
I will have to go look at another Target. Not that he would care. :mrgreen: But I love the fun ones. :mrgreen: