If you are using Rev to Rev for high school...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sue G in PA

If you are using Rev to Rev for high school...

Post by Sue G in PA » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Could I ask you a few questions? Are you using it as is or "beefing" it up any? It was almost a sure thing that we were sending ds13 to public high school (against my better judgement, but dh was adament). Recently, dh seems to have changed his mind and is on board with keeping him home! :D BUT, that sends me into a tizzy trying to figure out what to do for him. He is currently using RtR with his 12yo brother. I hesitate to say this and sound like I am comparing, but both boys are almost on the same level for everything. Ds12 is very mathy, while ds13 is not. Ds12 is very independent, while ds12 is not. But both have similar ability levels. Anyway...my plan is to move forward with HOD using Rev to Rev for both boys next year. But I wonder if it is "enough" as is to count for high school credits? Let me share my "definites" (and I hesitate to use that word b/c nothing is certain these days! lol). But here goes:
Grammar - R&S 7
Math - Life of Fred Alg. 1
Writing - We did NOT use the IEW lessons this year...not my cup of tea or theirs...but are using Jump In! writing and enjoying it for the most part. I'm adding Writing With Skill to see how that goes b/c the first 8 weeks are free and I like Susan Wise Bauer's philosophy of writing (just didn't like the scriptedness of Writing With Ease). We will NOT finish Jump In this year and so I plan to continue using that along with the writing parts in R&S
Science - Can I use Rev to Rev as is for this or should I add an Apologia science to it? I was thinking Physical Science for him since I already have the text

So, with what I have so far...does it look credit-worthy for English, Math and Science? I would like to give him a credit for Bible. What might I add to RevtoRev to accomplish this? I want him to read the book, "Do Hard Things" as he has it and started it but didn't finish it. My dd15 used MFW AHL for 9th and read through the entire OT using Taking the Old Testament Challenge and so I considered using that for ds13 as well. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm so excited that we will be keeping all of our kids home again next year. :)

blessedmomof4

Re: If you are using Rev to Rev for high school...

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:18 pm

Find Carrie's posts in these threads, where she gives great advice on using Rev to Rev for high school and assigning credits :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10949

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208&p=59715
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Thank you, Lourdes! I was just searching back-threads on this very topic and these are very helpful! I think I have his next 2 years just about mapped out! :D

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:25 pm

In PA, it is basically as Carrie said in the one thread. It depends on the course of work you want him to take. The diploma programs I looked into for my older kids offer a general, academic, or business diploma, and maybe even a vocational diploma. The general diploma can be acquired by just completing 120 days or hours of the required subject in whatever fashion you choose. The academic diploma would require certain areas taught in each subject. If you are planning to get a diploma through an organization, it would be good to have that in hand before high school begins, so you know exactly what is needed. Just to give you an example: My oldest dd was involved in the state envirothon each year and loved it. So, one year for science, she just concentrated on the areas she had to learn for envirothon.....tree identification, aquatics, soil study, wildlife, etc. She got a credit for that toward a general diploma. We just counted 120 days of study. HTH
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Pam, I don't know much about the diploma programs. Do you know if it is necessary to go through one of these for high school? Can my dc apply to colleges w/out having been given a dipolma from one of these programs? I've heard of some PA homeschoolers using the diploma programs and others that chose not to. Thanks.

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Sue,
I'm not sure how parents issue diplomas without going through an organization. As far as college, I would think that it would depend on the type of college you were looking at. I would guess that many Christian colleges would accept a hs'd student without one of those diplomas, but if there is a certain college of interest, I would look into it and make sure. This could affect some in other states as well, so maybe Carrie or Julie could tell us how she plans to issue diplomas to her dc. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:33 am

Hi Sue!

We were just discussing this in another post by Tiffini:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10949

I posted what we are using to "beef up" HOD for the high school years. We're not to Rev2Rev until next year (10th grade), but we will do a similar plan.
Hope this helps!
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM