Foreign Language

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
shera

Foreign Language

Post by shera » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:08 pm

My dh would like me to start teaching my ds Spanish. He will be 7 in the fall. I was thinking of using a computer program like Rosetta Stone. Would my ds be to young for this? Does any one have any other suggestions for teaching a foreign language?

Thanks
Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:10 pm

Sarah,

The Rosetta Stone program is very expensive and also can be used for high school credit, so it may not be exactly what you're looking for. However, I have heard of moms being able to check it out through their library system for free - so that may be an option worth looking into. :D

PowerGlide actually has a Junior version that would proabably be closer to your kiddos age. We had purchased PowerGlide Junior Spanish, and then never got around to using it. :oops: It became one of those things I meant to do, but never had time!

I've also heard good things about "The Easy Spanish". I did look at it, but I felt it was too mom-intensive to add to our schedule. It also may be worth checking out.

I'm sure the moms on the board will chime in here with some wonderful foreign language ideas. The only language we are finally successfully learning is Greek (for the sole purpose of being able to read the New Testament in the original language). For that we've used "Hey Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek". :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu May 01, 2008 7:05 pm

were using Fluenz for Chinese.. see my siggy for why that particular language... But I have been amazed!!!! at how much she is learning. The Fluenz way is very short lessons, very practical stuff. They also have the homework built right in to the computer program so you sit down and do as much as you can.. only once have not gotten though one whole lesson. Of course we have had to repeat lessons till we know the material.

The lessons teach you a few things at a time then immediatly incorporate it into new sentences you should be able to figure out. they use all the worlds you have learned but in new ways. And they ask you to figure out new sentences to translate again you have al the worlds in your mind you just have to put them together. I have really been impressed with this program. we hear it, we see it, we say it, we write it.

Fluenz is currently working on a spanish version. I have no Idea if it is finished but I'm planning on using it later.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu May 01, 2008 9:05 pm

Just curious Carrie...when have you started Greek with your boys? I had friends that really struggled with it in college. :shock: I'm sure that this program isn't as "heavy"...I just hadn't thought of Greek in elementary years. I love the idea of the goal being to read the New Testament.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Treewin

Easy Spanish

Post by Treewin » Thu May 01, 2008 11:05 pm

Just wanted to suggest a Spanish program which might be interesting.

http://www.theeasyspanish.com/

We used the French version this year and I liked the ease of use. It is repeated for several years and can be reproduced for large families. It is a slow and incremental program but can still be challenging.

HTH
Dd 10 yrs swimming wonder
Ds 7 yrs scientist in all things
Ds 4 yrs magazine shopper

Hindsfeet

Post by Hindsfeet » Thu May 01, 2008 11:48 pm

Tansy, we've used Rosetta Stone for Dutch, Spanish and Japanese with success, but I just checked out Fluenz, and I'm really impressed! It looks like a very thorough work-out.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 02, 2008 8:27 am

Kathleen,

My boys are ready to start on their third year of Greek. We've finished 2 full years. When we first started, my boys were 10 and 7. My third son was 3 (so he didn't start and still won't yet at age 5). :wink:

We had struggled with trying out a variety of other foreign language materials before that, and I am sorry to say that I just wasn't consistent with them (as most of them took too much of me)! :roll:

I will say that my kiddos do enjoy their Greek, and the program (Hey Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek) reviews in little increments so well that they are getting it. 8)

Greek N'Stuff also has a Latin program for those of you who may be interested in that. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon May 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Carrie wrote: We had struggled with trying out a variety of other foreign language materials before that, and I am sorry to say that I just wasn't consistent with them (as most of them took too much of me)! :roll:
Wow it is so great to hear that! It happens to the best of them! :lol: And not just me...hahaha!

We have visual link. We use it. I like it BUT I really feel like a written component is necessary to make things stick. I even talk to them in Spanish, forget it they still needed more. And honestly I think visual link is good I just think the written component makes it stick. So as usual I am the one that combines all kinds of whacky things and I am adding The Easy Spanish to Visual Link. Really I guess Visual Link is now kind of our added practice for The Easy Spanish. Visual link is no work on my part. They can do that without me although I think it is fun to do it with them. We are finishing up a few odds and ends before we start it up and I have been reading through it. Pretty much open and go, simple exercises. It teaches Spanish phonograms which just makes a ton of sense to me. It has a little bit of a CM flair to it and she has things she calls "CM Activities" that are simple. Also has scripture memorization in Spanish which is huge to me. Our purpose for learning Spanish is for ministry in the future so I like that the scripture is there. I think this is going to work well for us. I speak a fair amount of Spanish so I am looking for fluency for my kids and brush up for me.

I have visual Link already and I think it is a good tool but if I had found The Easy Spanish first I do not think I would be looking for something else to make it stick like I was with visual link. It looks very solid. It would be worth finding someone who has done it all the way through to see what they think. HTH a little anyway. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)