R&S 2- Can some be done orally?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tabrett

R&S 2- Can some be done orally?

Post by Tabrett » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:35 am

I have been having my 2nd grader do all the written work in R&S 2 Grammar. She is understanding the concepts very well, but the writing seem very laborious. I want her to do all the writing, but she starts to get very sloppy about halfway through. Is this something I should keep pushing her through to build writing stamina or should I do half orally?

She is also doing Cheerful Cursive and MCP Plaid Phonics B (she needs the review :D), so R&S is not the only writing she is doing.

Thanks!

pjdobro

Re: R&S 2- Can some be done orally?

Post by pjdobro » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:30 pm

We do about 2/3 of R&S orally only writing 1/3 or less which is what HOD recommends. Sometimes some of that writing is even on the white board and not on regular paper. So even the sections that are called "writing" in R&S, some of those we do orally. This keeps the time down to 10-15 minutes total per lesson. This is our 3rd year doing it that way and it's been working well. My dc seem to be retaining the information fine and our day clicks right along. I would strive to do 2/3 of the lesson orally and only write a few of the problems at the end of the lesson. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

acts29stl

Post by acts29stl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:34 pm

We do 2/3 of it orally too. We are on R&S 3 and the kiddos are doing great retaining all the information and new concepts :D
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:23 pm

We're also doing about 2/3 orally and 1/3 written. It's working well! I would definitely encourage you to let your daughter do some of the lessons orally if you think all the writing is too burdensome for her. :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Tabrett,

We also recommend doing 2/3 of the lesson orally and only 1/3 on paper. :D It keeps the lessons short and sweet, and the retention is good. We're at Rod and Staff English 7 with my oldest, English 5 with my second oldest, and English 2 with my third oldest, and we have always done it this way. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tabrett

Post by Tabrett » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 am

Thanks everybody! That is a relief to know! Only writing 1/3 will me much easier on us!