First day success!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sue G in PA

First day success!

Post by Sue G in PA » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:08 pm

We started school today and contrary to my very low expectations, it was quite successful! :D My 13 and 11yos are doing RtR, my 10yo is doing Bigger, my 6 and 8yos are doing Beyond and my 3yo is doing LHTH. I also have a 10th grader using another curriculum. Today I started with my RtR and Beyond crew and all seemed to enjoy (or at least tolerate) the work. My dd6 actually asked to do MORE school when she was finished. Tomorrow I will start my 10yo in Bigger and my high school daughter will add more to her schedule. I'm holding off on starting my ds3 on LHTH until after Labor Day. I was quite pleased with how my 11 and 13yo boys worked together on RtR, doing most of it independently. Beyond was very doable and actually took us LESS time than I had allotted. We'll see how it goes when I throw ds10 into the mix tomorrow. He is my challenge. Having his own program should help a lot. I'm guardedly optimistic about the rest of our year, but with prayer I know we will be okay.

Tansy

Re: First day success!

Post by Tansy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Way to Go MOM!
*Cheering for You!*
Tansy
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

GinainMD

Post by GinainMD » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:18 pm

Yay! What a great way to begin the year.
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:27 pm

YAY!!!! So glad to hear things going smoothly! :D
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:37 pm

That is fantastic! I am so happy to read of your successful day. May the rest of your year be as successful. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Congratulations on getting off to a great start!!!!! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:41 am

Sue,

I'm so proud of you and your good start! :D It can be so challenging to get everyone going again. I pray you the Lord will be with you as you journey. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:23 pm

This was great to hear, Sue! :D I like your idea of stagger starting the dc. It makes so much sense to do it that way, and I think you chose who to start first very wisely. I know you'd mentioned your 10 yo can be a challenge, and it was a good idea to separate that child out and see what the day looks like without that child. Then, when you add that child, and you know it's going to be more challenging, you can separate that from the rest of the dc. I think it's a good idea to hold off on LHTH too, until you get going, and I'm so happy to hear the older boys did well with RTR, and your Beyond child did so well that she was wanting to do more! HOORAY - success!!! Thank you for sharing here, Sue! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks all for your encouragement and cheers! After such an awful year last year, I really needed some successes right out of the box to build my confidence. Today went well, too. In fact, my oldest son doubled up on his studies today so he could see a friend tomorrow (another homeschooler who hasn't started yet). I just wish HOD had a guide for a 10th grader right about now. Dd14 is not enjoying the one she is using. And the tantrums are driving me batty!