RtR Storytime Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
skwmackey

RtR Storytime Question

Post by skwmackey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:53 pm

What do you do with the index cards from the storytime in RtR once you are finished with them? I'm trying to decide how I should save them. Are they used again at another time? If filed, do you file them by units or another way?
Stephanie

Mom to:

Caleb 13 - Rev to Rev
Josiah 8 - Bigger
Levi 6 - LHFHG/Beyond
Silas 5 - LHFHG

http://calitexans.blogspot.com

my3sons

Re: RtR Storytime Question

Post by my3sons » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:27 pm

I kept them on their ring and put them in the back pocket of our 3 ring binder. Now, I am feeling that was decidedly uncreative though. :oops: What are you going to do with them? :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

skwmackey

Post by skwmackey » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:52 pm

If I'm being completely honest, I didn't read the instructions on the first couple of days too well and just tossed the first couple away. Now that I know to save them, I would like to think of something that I will keep up with all year. I'm thinking that for now in our large notebook/portfolio that I will just file them under storytime and put them in a page protector or hole punch them (except I wouldn't want the hole punch to get in the way of writing). If I come up with something good, I'll post it. I would really like to find something similar to pockets that hold pictures which would easily fit an index card.
Stephanie

Mom to:

Caleb 13 - Rev to Rev
Josiah 8 - Bigger
Levi 6 - LHFHG/Beyond
Silas 5 - LHFHG

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Where do you buy those ring thingys??
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm not as far as RTR yet, but I can share what we did for the memory verse cards (index cards) in Bigger Hearts. I looked at Walmart in the photo section, and found some small plastic photo albums for $1. They aren't the ones with the hard binder type cover. They are just a plastic booklet with about 35 or so pockets to insert pictures into. I just pulled the floral covers out and printed up my own that had a picture of a Bible and I put a verse on there with the title Bigger Hearts Memory Verses. I would think you could easily print out something neat for the cards used in RTR, and just insert that inside the covers. Something that really sets it apart, and makes it unique to your child! It makes a really nice display for the work they do on the cards. Anyway, just thought I'd share in case it might spur some great ideas! :wink:

One more thing: you can just tuck it in the pocket of your binder, or I just put an extra page protector in the front of the binder and slipped it in there. :D

Heather,
The rings are called loose leaf book rings, and can be found at most office supply stores. They're quite handy! :wink:

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:18 pm

Oh wow, neat idea, Lisa! And thanks for the help with the rings! I didn't know what they were called so wasn't sure how to ask for them at the store! ;)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl

tollhousemom

Post by tollhousemom » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:25 pm

I found the "ring thingy's" at Wal-Mart in the office supply section. I'm pretty sure the package of "book rings" was less than $1.50, but I'm not positive on the price.

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:16 am

This doesn't really follow the instructions but here is what I'm doing. My son tends to be a little careless with anything that isn't secured in a notebook or binder. Loose things wind up getting lost or bent up. These were printed on card stock, hole punched, and placed in the back of my son's Student Notebook. I told my son that he can continue writing on the lines below if there's not enough room for the event or whatever it happens to be at the time. He can then leave an empty line between each entry. He will also list the title of the book at the beginning of each section. I am having trouble getting the first 3 to show up big but you get the gist. I'm not sure if these will work out yet because we haven't started Storytime due to my library's new eAudiobook downloader having glitches that we are working on.
~edited to delete the first 3 pictures because today they are ginormous instead of being too small. Go figure. :lol:

Last edited by gotpeace91 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:46 am

Those are great, Leah! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Are you reading the storytime books to them, or are they reading the storytime books to themselves? I am reading the storytime books to the children and am finding it hard to implement this since I am the one with the book and page numbers. I have been doing it orally with them. Can someone please tell me how to work this if you are reading these selections to your child? We have only done 3 days, so I cannot have done too much damage (smile).
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:27 pm

my3sons wrote:I kept them on their ring and put them in the back pocket of our 3 ring binder. Now, I am feeling that was decidedly uncreative though. :oops: What are you going to do with them? :D

In Christ,
Julie
That's what we've done so far. Are they supposed to write which book the info is from on the card somewhere? I didn't see that in the directions, but was thinking now that we've started adding to them from our 2nd book that maybe it would be nice to know? We do keep adding to them as we go and only get a new card if we run out of room, right?
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

skwmackey

Post by skwmackey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:55 pm

Leah,
I love this idea! Thanks for sharing it. I think this will be a perfect fit for us. Now one more thing to do before tomorrow morning but well worth it.
Stephanie

Mom to:

Caleb 13 - Rev to Rev
Josiah 8 - Bigger
Levi 6 - LHFHG/Beyond
Silas 5 - LHFHG

skwmackey

Post by skwmackey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Melissa,
I am reading the books to my son. I just have him stop me when we come to the particular part that he wants to write down. Since I am reading the book to just him, it doesn't take up too much time.
Stephanie

Mom to:

Caleb 13 - Rev to Rev
Josiah 8 - Bigger
Levi 6 - LHFHG/Beyond
Silas 5 - LHFHG

moe

Post by moe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:48 am

Hi All,

We are starting today!!!!! We have a index card box with dividers. One divider for storytime cards, one for dictation (I copied and clued onto index cards) and one is for vocabulary cards.

Monique

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks Heather and Stephanie! :D Melissa, I'm planning on doing it the way Stephanie describes.
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation