Do I need to order Math Manipulatives for Singapore?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Voice of Truth

Do I need to order Math Manipulatives for Singapore?

Post by Voice of Truth » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Hello! :D

Using Singapore Earlybird Math and 1A/1B for my Kindergartener and 1st grader. I was just on the Singapore website and there are tons of suggested manipulatives on there. Should I be ordering these to go along with the curriculum, or are there certain ones that are must haves for these levels? For example, the little clocks, centimeters cubes, teddy bear counters, geometric shapes, a balance, etc, etc? Using LHFHG but will be doing Math, Reading, and Writing at each child's level. I will be purchasing the Beyond guide for the hands on activities for Singapore 1A/1B. However, that still leaves the question of whether or not I need to purchase manipulatives :) I am new to HOD so I am unfamiliar with how everything works :)

Thanks So Much!
Candice

cirons

Re: Do I need to order Math Manipulatives for Singapore?

Post by cirons » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi Candice,

There is no need to purchase manipulatives with SIngapore Math, especially using the HOD manuals for teaching the lessons. HOD will give you options for manipulatives, and they will always be something you have around the house. For example, you can use cereal pieces, sultanas, marshmallows, etc etc. The kids enjoy these lessons because they get to eat their manipulatives after the lesson!

Enjoy the journey,

Corrie
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

HollyS

Post by HollyS » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:38 am

One thing you want is a deck of cards (with the face cards removed). You could probably make your own, but a deck of cards is pretty cheap. Also, a dry erase board comes in handy. I usually run through the lesson plans a week in advance to see if we need anything special...some lessons call for raisins or other little snacks to use as counters.

I've invested so much in math manipulatives over the years (we have just about everything you could think of) before switching to HOD. I think my DC prefer the household items over the fancy manipulatives. :lol:
Holly, mom to 4
DD 10 and DS 7 -- Bigger
DD 5 -- LHTH
DD 2

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:11 pm

I agree with PP, my children enjoy being able to eat their math :lol: (as it is sometimes a yummy snack) :wink:
The hands on activities that Carrie has written help the kiddo's (and some times Mom's) :wink: understand the why behind math. :D
Success :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.