Please ease my mind about my 8.5 yr.old doing Beyond!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooln2qts

Please ease my mind about my 8.5 yr.old doing Beyond!

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am

Sometimes I think I must be addicted to stress to even be posting this. :roll: :lol: We are LOVING Beyond so much and never in our 6 yrs of homeschooling have I felt such peace and ease throughout the day with a curriculum. My dd -8.5 (9 in Dec.) and in the 3rd grade placed in Beyond. We tried Bigger, but she had some trouble with it so I moved her down to Beyond. It has been the sweetest, most precious program for her. She is thriving and she LOVES school. :D She even asks to "do school" on the weekends. But, I haven't noticed any other posters on the board with dc her age using Beyond. Are there any others out there? Please help me feel better about my 8.5 yr. old doing Beyond! :lol:
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

Kims

Re: Please ease my mind about my 8.5 yr.old doing Beyond!

Post by Kims » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:25 pm

Even if there are no others you said it with this statement
It has been the sweetest, most precious program for her. She is thriving and she LOVES school. :D She even asks to "do school" on the weekends.
It doesn't get any better than that so relax and go with it. Each child is different and don't compare it will only stress you.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:55 pm

The first thing that I noticed reading your post is that you mentioned
homeschooln2qts wrote:never in our 6 yrs of homeschooling have I felt such peace and ease throughout the day with a curriculum.
. I think that above al you need to listen to that peace. :D

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also you are called in one body; and be you thankful.~Col.3:15

I know others are using Beyond for their 8 year olds, just as I know that there are others using Bigger with their 5th graders. Some use Beyond with 6 year olds and some use Bigger with 2nd graders. You have to do what is right for YOUR child, not someone elses. It would make no sense to have your dd in a guide that stresses her and you out just because someone else might be using an older guide with their 8 yr. old child. :D Let God lead you....you'll never be sorry to have walked the path he has for you! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Kim and Kelly, thank you so much :D In my heart I knew this already, I just needed some reassurance. After so many years of trudging through every homeschool day, just trying to get through the work, It's hard to believe that homeschooling could and "should" be this easy and fun! I love this time with my kids that God is restoring to me through HoD --the years the locusts had eaten :)
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

HollyS

Post by HollyS » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:49 pm

My DD is 9 and we are finishing up Beyond (just a few weeks left). :D Bigger can be used for 4th and 5th grades with the extensions, so you'll be just fine. My DD has had a great year and grown so much...I almost put her with Bigger last fall, but I have no regrets about going with Beyond. I hope you have a great year!
Holly, mom to 4
DD 10 and DS 7 -- Bigger
DD 5 -- LHTH
DD 2

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Thank you, Holly! This is the cake topper :D
Miranda

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:40 pm

My dd turned 8 in May and we just started Beyond. Last year we did Little Hearts after purchasing Beyond and then realizing it would be too much for her. So, if your dd places in Beyond and is thriving, keep at it. It sounds like it has been working great for her. We've only finished day 4. There have been so many great things said about Beyond, I feel like I have so much to look forward to. Get rid of the doubt and let God continue to bless you through this wonderful curriculum. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

mom23

Post by mom23 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:00 pm

We did Beyond last year with my 8 yo 3rd grader. Now in Bigger for 4th, and she's doing so much better there than I know she would have last year!
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

krains

Post by krains » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:52 pm

We combined my 7 and 8.5 year old in Beyond. We started in January and are doing 4 day weeks so we will finish the book after 43 weeks instead of the 34. Both girls are thriving in it. I second guess myself as well, but I know that she is where she needs to be.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Sometimes I wish we were a number-free world. (Especially as I'm turning 40 this year :lol: !) Seriously though, there are many families using Beyond with 8 yo, 9 yo, and even with 10 yo. :wink: Do you know how many parents would LOVE to be able to say this about their dc... "My child is thriving and she LOVES school. She even asks to "do school" on the weekends". Honestly, many parents would give just about anything to be able to say that. What a blessing! :D I'm so happy for you, and I would celebrate dd's success, as well as her fantastic attitude. She's 8. I don't remember one thing from school when I was 8 yo, other than that year we got to drink chocolate milk at school. :wink: Hopefully more will stick with her than that, but honestly, if she looks back and thinks, "Wow, I really loved school. I really loved learning with my mom as my teacher" - that would be enough for 8 yo. At least it would be enough for me. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Ok, so now I'm officially doing the "HaPpY DaNcE" :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thank you all for your words of affirmation. I just feel so unspeakably blessed that the Lord lead me to HoD and to all of you wonderful, loving, godly sisters in Christ. No more worries here...just going to relax and enjoy the ride with Heart of Dakota from now on, knowing that we're exactly where we need to be. :mrgreen:
Miranda

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:41 pm

I have 3 children in Beyond right now- my 6yo (will be 7 in Dec), my just-turned 8yo, and my 9.5yo. They are all enjoying it very much. We are looking forward to moving through the guides with these 3 combined, using extensions for the 2 oldest starting with Bigger.

mother4christ

Post by mother4christ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:42 pm

Yayyy, so happy for you!!! This is so exciting for me and a complete God send that I opened up to this thread...B/C ...well I am just about to place our order with HOD b/c I am so thrilled with all the reviews and I loved the catalog from the first second:)

I was concerned too b/c I have an 8.5 year old that is still working on "reading" and I was looking at Bigger but was thinking we should do Beyond so that I can combine it for our 6 year old too. After reading the encouragement and your experience here I am totally gonna order Beyond. The years are already flying by and I ask myself why do I "feel" like I need to be up there when right here is just plain down awesome:):):) Too often in life we rush to get to the NEXT phase and we often miss the beautiful opportunities to just enjoy the moment and live in it. God has been teaching me that more and more as I get older.

I am so excited to chat with you ladies on here and to school along with you. What a huge blessing!!

THANK YOU for asking and thank you for all of the great encouragement!!!

Blessings,
Shannon :)

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:16 am

I haven't read all the replies, but I wanted to encourage you. We started using HOD Preparing with my oldest son when he was 10. We've LOVED HOD and he has always been at the oldest range for the guides. It hasn't been an issue at all. I think he's getting a great education. We love HOD, and it is so felixible. You can tailor where you need to.

have a great year.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Qtipper

Post by Qtipper » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:42 am

We are 3/4 of the way done with beyond and will go until October and my son turned 9 in June! I admit to wondering the SAME thing. So, thanks for having the courage to ask! Perhaps we should just trust and feel peace, but it's also a pleasure to have company along the way!!

Blessings~
Becky
Qtipper
Wife to: QBear
Mommy to:
Son: K-Dog 6/6/02 - BLHFHG
Daughter: Lou Bear 6/24/04 - BLHFHG

My motto is:
"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~ "Oh Shoot, She's up!"