What if your child won't be ready? (high school)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TammyTE

What if your child won't be ready? (high school)

Post by TammyTE » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:09 pm

What if a child is about a year "behind" in the levels? How does it even out by high school? Do you....?

-keep trudging along in order and whatever you do by the time they graduate is what you accomplish?
-skip a level at some point and get started in the 4 years of high school their freshman year?
-take a level faster than usual somehow to get through quicker and school longer for the year?
-??

I like that I can place a late bloomer at their appropriate level but I am wondering what will happen later. You know, once they bloom. LOL
~Tammy - Wife to One and Mama to Five

Kathleen

Re: What if your child won't be ready? (high school)

Post by Kathleen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:38 pm

I think that I'd just keep on going in order through the guides. The current guides that are out can already be altered just slightly for high school credit, so I wouldn't see using a guide or 2 behind what Carrie is writing for "high school" to be a problem at all! Since they will have extensions, you'll be set! I believe that's the plan for the way HOD is written. There are several "right" ways for your child to progress and move through the guides and still have an excellent, God-honoring education in the process.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

TammyTE

Post by TammyTE » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Thank you for easing my mind. :)

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:36 pm

We won't hit all the guides. :)

My oldest son is in 8th and using RTR this year. His high school will look like this:

9th Rev2Rev
10th Modern
11th Geography
12th World

All with extensions. :) He'll still get all of his American History, Geo, and World. My younger son is a year "behind" to finish all the guides because he just wasn't quite ready for Preparing this year, so he's doing Bigger. :) His high school will look like this:

9th Modern
10th Geography
11th World
12 Early American with Gov

He'll still hit all the history as well, just in a different order. The guides are designed with extension ranges, and there are tons of threads on beefing them up for high school if you need to, so really wherever your child is by the time he gets to high school will likely be fine. :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

TammyTE

Post by TammyTE » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:43 pm

My oldest is in the same shoes as your younger son. She just turned 9yo in June. I think she could do all the reading in Preparing but she is just not quite ready for the independence and all the writing.