New here, any used books?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lovetobehome

New here, any used books?

Post by lovetobehome » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:42 am

I am new here, a friend just steered me here to check this out. I have bought and used MFW, SL, TOG, MOH, TQ....the list goes on. I am drawn to this because of the deep connections between history, Bible, character and science. I have never seen a unit study that really functions with character and Bible and history so well. I am impressed! I need to look a lot more at what is written here. But my main question is, does anyone know or have a package to sell? Other than the standard boards, is there a special loop where HOD items that are used, are sold? I have spent so much already, and there is so much here I would want!!!

A bit about us. We are thinking of using either BGFHG or the new Preparing... Also, where is there info about what is planned for future years? That is a big consideration for me. Thank you so much! I am excited to learn more! Thank you!

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:25 am

If you are looking to cut costs, Carrie has an economy package for each program with just the bare essentials you need to buy. Then you can get the read alouds and books for the reading program from the library. The manuals themselves are very reasonably priced.

HTHs and welcome to the boards.

:D

lovetobehome

thanks!

Post by lovetobehome » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:30 am

Thanks, netpea! I agree, the guides are priced nicely! I just see all those yummy books, and I want them all! My son is an avid reader, he just read the Narnia series, all 6 books, in a week.

While I wanted to use PREPARING, I am far too impatient to wait. I am ready to start now! Plus, it looks like there is a lot more independence and writing necessary to use Preparing well....I think it would really benefit my son to not rush it. Plus, my almost 6yo dd could get a lot more out of BIGGER if we just used one program together (with modification). Now I just have to wrap my head around doing Amer history again. We used MFW Adventures and TQ for Amer history a couple years ago, and have been doing ancient history (SL core 1 and MOH) this year. I had planned to contnue with that. Hmmm.....

netpea

Re: thanks!

Post by netpea » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:37 am

lovetobehome wrote:Thanks, netpea! I agree, the guides are priced nicely! I just see all those yummy books, and I want them all! My son is an avid reader, he just read the Narnia series, all 6 books, in a week.

While I wanted to use PREPARING, I am far too impatient to wait. I am ready to start now! Plus, it looks like there is a lot more independence and writing necessary to use Preparing well....I think it would really benefit my son to not rush it. Plus, my almost 6yo dd could get a lot more out of BIGGER if we just used one program together (with modification). Now I just have to wrap my head around doing Amer history again. We used MFW Adventures and TQ for Amer history a couple years ago, and have been doing ancient history (SL core 1 and MOH) this year. I had planned to contnue with that. Hmmm.....
My son is just starting to steal the read alouds from the rocker and secretly read them. :lol: YAY!

If you do get the economy package for Bigger, you will need to still buy math (~17 per kid) and handwriting (~13-15 per kid). Everything else could come from the library if you have a library that will do ILL for you and is reasonably easy to use.

The American History in Bigger is biographical in nature from what I understand so it should be different than what you've done before.

I'm sure others will chime in to.
:D

lovetobehome

thanks again!

Post by lovetobehome » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:44 am

Thanks, again! I can't bear to switch math programs, we have tried a bunch and Saxon is working great for us. Also, I use LLATL for language arts (and it has cursive included). I may change, but I also might not! If I listed out all the curriculum I have bought and tried, it would make heads spin! I have learned a lot about what I DO like and what I don't! I think this looks like a great match for us!

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:46 am

Hello, and welcome to the HOD boards!

I am using Beyond with my 7 y/o at present, but I do have the teacher's guide for Bigger also. I have spent a few evenings reading through the Bigger guide, and I just have to say, that's a great program! I love how everything is tied together, and I love the literature Carrie is using for that level. That being said, it looks to be a nicely challenging program--very deep and very full. I can't wait to start with Bigger, but we're going to finish Beyond first because there's plenty in there for us to learn too!

Preparing looks great, and Carrie has said that it is a one year overview of world history to prepare a child for the next 4-year history rotation. Kind of a "background" for what's to come in the next years--KWIM?

Anyway, if you've been using those other programs, there's a good chance you might have at least a few of the readers that are used in HOD. That might give you a starting point, then you could use the library to fill in where needed. Carrie's programs are so inexpensively priced (to me) compared to some of the others. Very workable for a family on a budget.

Here's a link to a discussion in which Carrie tells of what's to come in future year's plans:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=190
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:03 am

Have you thought about Little Hearts for your 5yo? It is a super program, perfect for that age, and you would not need to modify at all. I'm not sure how much a little one would get from the Bigger program? Little Hearts is also very economical and I used it this year with LLATL....worked great. However, I must warn you....I started Little Hearts doing my own math and LA, and now I am switching to all HOD for next year! :lol:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:06 am

Hi there!
Welcome to HOD! I just wanted to say that I am with you about spending money. Not cuz I have spent too much, but because I don't have it due to dh's disability. That being said I do feel HOD is reasonibly priced comparitivly. (I NEED spell check!! :oops: ) What I do is sell things I have around the house. Books sell well at Amazon. I also scour the hs for sale boards for used. I think Joyful has a local halfpricebooks in her area. That may be an option for you. I would prefer to buy directly from Carrie so that it would profit her more (I will when I can), but I do try to make up for it by shouting from the roof tops about this wonderful curriculum. :D Any poor soul who is willing to listen I tell them more than they ask for! :lol: Hope you can get the books you are after!
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:09 am

Another suggestion for accessing books would be this: if you are involved with a homeschool group in your area, send an email to the group asking if any of the other members have books on your list that they would be willing to loan you for a period of time. Often people have books just sitting on their shelves, and may not mind letting you borrow them.

Also, scour homeschool used book sales, library sales, yard sales, etc. Be sure to keep your list of books with you... Our church has a library; they have a homeschool section where many books and curriculum choices are available. This is also a good way to get rid of curriculum you are not using, by donating it to your church, library, or homeschool sale. HTH
Last edited by inHistiming on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

lovetobehome

HOD and HOW

Post by lovetobehome » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:58 am

Thank you all for your very helpful replies! I will write more later, but I wondered if anyone here has used HOD as a part of the HOW (heart of wisdom) ideas. It seems to me like HOW is not a curriculum, but that HOD actually implements the HOW thinking....I am just now looking at both.

lovetobehome

HOD is great!!!

Post by lovetobehome » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:07 am

I just wanted to say also, that I have found I *DO* have a lot of these books, and I am just going to purchase what I need when I get it all figured out! I made a long list yesterday of all the options, marked what I had, and today I will check the library. THNKYOU!
Also, I appreciate the advice about my daughter. I think I will use BIGGER for my son this year and probably BEYOND for my daughter. Both my children have done a lot so far, and I think they fit well into those years.
This is an outstanding curriculum. I have searched so long for something that is a true unit study, and truly grounds us in God's word, applying Biblical principles, character, etc to our studies in a REAL way. I am very impressed and very excited!

hippiechyck

Re: HOD and HOW

Post by hippiechyck » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:20 pm

lovetobehome wrote:Thank you all for your very helpful replies! I will write more later, but I wondered if anyone here has used HOD as a part of the HOW (heart of wisdom) ideas. It seems to me like HOW is not a curriculum, but that HOD actually implements the HOW thinking....I am just now looking at both.
hi there!

HOW is really for older kids like grades 4-5 and up...it's very research-intensive

i love how HOW goes through history, but it was way too intense for us at this stage...but it's a good option for high school! :P
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:58 pm

lovetobehome,

I just wanted to welcome you and let you know we're glad to have you here! :wink:

The ladies have done an excellent job of talking through ideas with you! They are wonderful about helping! :D

We'll look forward to hearing more from you.

Blessings,
Carrie