one last reassurance of level please

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rholliday

one last reassurance of level please

Post by rholliday » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:28 am

Ok, I hope this will be the last major question regarding this decision. My hubby and I talked in length last night about the thoughts I had for next year. The Plan:
Have 6.5 yo (who is reading pretty well, writing and doing horizons K math now ) and 5yo (in august , also beginning to read, writes letters and numbers adds simple facts to 10) begin LHFHG together in the fall. I will also have each do their own level of phonics, writing, math. I will also purchase BLHFHG and use it for LA and spelling for my oldest and maybe 1/2 way through use the emerging reader schedule. I am wanting to make sure this will be challenging for my oldest and not too challenging for the middle one (there is also a 3yo) My husband is concerned it might be too basic for the oldest but since we have never done any history or science and as much as I have wanted to do bible memory I have lacked consistency I am hoping it will be just right since each will also be doing their own level of reading, writing and math. I am also hoping my 5 yo can handle it and not be left behind with the history, science and bible too. Is it possible to have one curriculum be a good fit for both kids. So I am sorry for the constant questions and indecision. My hubby loves the multi sensory part since when he is here for school I am constantly telling my boy to jump up and down, run around the circle or do push-ups for a few minutes. So that will be a plus.
also does it all end up working out correctly down the road if I am using parts of 2 guides each year. YIKES, I am sorry to continue to ask such tedious questions. I have really enjoyed this message board and the wise advice from so many who have used this in the past. FYI-when I started on this HS journey 1-2 years ago, I wanted the typical textbook curiculum that I could buy one set and have it all mapped out for me with each appropriate grade level, no unit studies, no living books, strictly clear laid out text books with questions. So this is a change, and a good one I think and I am *VERY* excited about it!!!
Renee

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:14 am

I think it could work. You may want to consider getting the additional books (read alouds) listed in the appendix for each week from the library. That would certainly help to meet your oldest's needs. Your younger could listen or not.

Also, I am using 2 guides for my son this year, Beyond, and the math from Bigger. It is fine. After Bigger, there are no more math activities, so next year when I use Bigger for everything else, I will not need to buy the Preparing manual for math activities and will then just have one manual. The schedule for Singapore 3A/3B is in Bigger, so I will just be able to follow that.

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions.
:D

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:40 am

I like the way it looks! I made a similar decision myself--well, sort of. I've been up in the air about whether to go with Little Hearts or Beyond with my 5.5yo for the fall. Decision made--best of both worlds. I'll post it separately--don't want to hijack your thread.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:20 pm

I would not push the Beyond too soon. There is just so much in that program and the reading gradually becomes longer and more advanced with little to no pictures. I can't imagine my ds who is 5 doing Beyond anytime soon. You would better off starting on the younger end and adding in some of the extra readings and gradually building up to the high level skills. There is just sooooo much in these guides that can't be seen from the samples. These programs each gradually build up through out the year - which is nice because our children grow in their knowledge and skills so it keeps them ever so gently challenged. You know, I thought at first that maybe there wouldn't be the challenge but my ds who is 8 doing Beyond has comprehended so much and has applied it to things in his world and asked questions that the growth I see in him - I am in amazement, a definite WOW factor. As for doing 2 programs at once, easily doable because the way things are set up doesn't require you to be teaching all day long. The lessons are quick, to the point and mostly fun.
Heidi