Sometimes the lightbulb takes a while to come *on*...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
off2workigo

Sometimes the lightbulb takes a while to come *on*...

Post by off2workigo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:48 pm

...especially in Mama's brain!

I'm doing PHFHG with my oldest, a 10 year old 6th grader. I also have a younger daughter, a 6 year old 1st grader. Due to the fact that my children have two parents who have input on their education, my younger is attending a brick and mortar school this year at The Hubs' request. I "shopped around" and found a charter school near us that is half school attendance (Mon-Thur mornings) and half homeschool (2 hours required in the afternoon and 5 on Fridays). Parents who are already at the school tell us that the 1st grade packet they send home will take us nowhere NEAR 13 hours a week to complete, and that we will need to "supplement" with our own work. And so, I've been scrambling, looking at workbooks, worrying & worrying about 5 hours of work on a Friday for a six year old.

*Lightbulb!* :idea:

Silly me! I can do Beyond with my 1st grader in the afternoon. The school teaches math, phonics, language, writing and reading (and, oddly, rock-climbing, music keyboarding, woodworking, computers, and dance). So...in the section where it says "or use your own program" for math and phonics and writing...well, the classroom already is "using their own program". I can divide her homework packet into five days to keep afternoon worksheets to a minimum and then fill in with all the snuggle-reading and fun stuff from Beyond! I can do history, Bible, science, Storytime, and even the emergent readers (she's around the Frog & Toad level right now) and just ENJOY the afternoon with my girl after all of the tough-skills-stuff is out of the way in the classroom in the morning! SO excited now that we're still going to get in our reading, drawing, experimenting, and CONVERSATIONS, even though she's at school in the morning. Whew! My mother-heart is ready to cry with gratitude. I was, of course, going to go along with my husband's wishes...but was not looking forward to the drudgery of work-filled afternoons. Can you hear my sigh of relief?

Thank you, thank you, thank you,

-Rebecca

P.S. I'm pretty sure my older won't mind snuggling up for an additional read aloud or two each day, either. Did I mention how RELIEVED I suddenly am?

LAB

Re: Sometimes the lightbulb takes a while to come *on*...

Post by LAB » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Sounds perfect! I'm sure her homeschool time will be fun for both of you!
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:53 am

That sounds great! So glad you found peace! Enjoy your snuggle time. :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

off2workigo

Post by off2workigo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:07 am

I can't wait until The Hubs agrees it's time to bring her home, too. Or, until he loses his ideas about not homeschooling high school. I'm praying. I'm praying. Until then...this seems like the best solution for the time being.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Sounds great! :D Glad you'll be able to have those "homeschooling" moments with your daughter THIS year. :wink:

I just replied on your Emerging Reader question, too. I'd say since she's at the "Frog and Toad" stage, that I'd probably choose The Beginners Bible to start with. The questions will be in the appendix of Beyond with the schedule to follow. Have fun! :D

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

off2workigo

Post by off2workigo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:59 pm

We HAVE The Beginner's Bible. I guess I should just...try it out, huh? Have her read something from it before I place the order? Silly me! Sometimes the lightbulb really DOES take a while to come on!