After Dictation List

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mom23

After Dictation List

Post by mom23 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:35 pm

We're doing Bigger this year with my DD, after having used bits and pieces of it last year to beef up Beyond a little bit. She was ready for the dictation list year, rather than the spelling lists, so as we head into Bigger this year we're almost to the end of the dictation list. Where do we go next? Could we use some of the poetry for this purpose, or Bible verses? I know that I could just buy Preparing now to get the next list, but we're really pinching our pennies right now... Are there any other suggestions?
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

parjackson7

Re: After Dictation List

Post by parjackson7 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:55 am

I would definitely do some easy poetry or Bible verses for dictation. Proverbs and the New Testament would be my preference because they seem more "dictation friendly." You could even dictate some passages from her favorite children's books. Try making up your own sentences/stories involving your DD and her younger brothers. That idea could be a lot of fun for her. :D
Amy

DD 8 - Bigger w/extensions
DS 6 - LHFHG
DS 5.5 - LHFHG
DS 5.5 - LHFHG
DD 3 - LHTH but keeping up with big brothers in LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:33 pm

All of the dictation levels are taken from the same source, and they build upon one another. :D I'd try to get the next level of dictation when you are able, as this will systematically build spelling/writing skills from passage to passage, level to level. It is a very effective, incremental way to build skills that moves dc along so much more effectively than randomly choosing dictation passages from various sources. I totally understand budgetary needs, so I am praying that you have the funds when you need them.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

off2workigo

Post by off2workigo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:59 am

The book from which the dictations are taken...Dictation, Day by Day...is in the public domain. Do a search for it and you will find several free online copies, from which you can use the next level up.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:22 pm

I just wanted to pop-in and mention that you are welcome to work to find a public domain copy of the book we base our dictation passages on, but it is good to bear in mind that many of the copies of this book that are out there contain typos, missing punctuation, or blurred letters, since they have been retyped or scanned often without any editing done to the passages. There are many different versions of the book from which the passages come, and we actually purchased and own quite a few different original copies in various versions, prior to those we selected in order to provide the best sequential passages. :D

In an area like studied dictation, where the child is working to fix the correct image in his/her mind and then reproduce it on paper, problems like those mentioned above are actually a hindrance to the dictation process. In our guides, we have also taken care to replace some passages within the dictation passages we provide; in order to stay away from any glorification of Greek gods, any inflammatory terminology, or any passages that are too magically themed.

Blessings,
Carrie

off2workigo

Post by off2workigo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Excellent point. I withdraw my advice.
:)
I knew the books were out there in the public domain, at least for levels 2nd-4th, but hadn't looked at them. I figured that if someone purchased an HOD program that didn't contain dictation at a high enough level, it would be easy to just get the next level from the free domain book. I SHOULD have known that you would take care of us and edit out any inappropriate content, Carrie. Thank you, yet again, for taking care of us!

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks for your help, everyone!
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing