Question about Singapore math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
busybee4

Question about Singapore math

Post by busybee4 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:42 pm

Okay, it's me again!!! :) I feel like I've been asking so many questions lately!! Hope it's not...um...well, :oops: annoying!!! But I've gotta ask!!!!

I'm am seriously considering going with Singapore Math this coming year for K and 1st. I don't really know anything about it but have heard that there is not much drill on math facts.

I know that Carrie has so graciously created math activities to go along with the books (and to help us save money. :D Yay!!) I will be using both the Little Hearts and Beyond manuals so that I can have the activties for both levels however I am also considering purchasing something for drill.

Does Carrie include drill reminders in the math box (as if she hasn't done enough already) or would it be okay to go ahead and purchase something else for the math facts drill?
Krissy, wife to a great man for 10 years and busy Mom to
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05
dd '08 watching it all happen...but not doing it very quietly!!
http://www.rubyslippersschool.com

shera

Post by shera » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:32 pm

As far as I can tell there is no reminder to drill the math facts. I purchased some flashcards and just try to periodically remember to drill. Hopefully someone else will answer how they drill the facts. I believe most people say the kids just learn them without drilling.

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:47 am

There are no drill reminders, and frankly, we don't drill at our house. My son is doing well in Singapore, even though he doesn't have the basic math facts memorized. He is in 2A and still sometimes has to figure out basic math facts. However, as he moves along, he is memorizing some of them due to repetition not from doing drill. (just not as quickly).

You could however, simply have a set day to drill and put it on your calendar.

wisdom4us

Post by wisdom4us » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:01 am

We are not using Singapore Math this year (but plan on for K & 2nd grade in the summer) but the math program we are using does not do drills either. My 1st grade boy is having no trouble remembering his math facts. It comes from repetition, this works better for us and for him.

I have heard that esp. with boys when they say they have something they've got it and you need to move on. I have found this to be true with him!!! :D
~Summer
Using LHFHG & BHFHG 2008-2009
http://wisdom4us.homeschooljournal.net/

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:58 am

My suggestion would be to add drill 1-2 times per week if you really want to. Otherwise, when looking over your child's math work, you will see which problems he's getting wrong. If it looks as if it is due to not having memorized his math facts, then you could do drills either with flash cards, or by sets; such as 1's, then 2's, 3's, and so on. My dd seems to have learned hers very well just from the short drills in her lessons (Horizons) and the work in the lessons. My son has drills each day, rotating division, addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It's written into his lessons (saxon). I like this because it goes back with constant review of learned 'facts'. We will be using Singapore next year, though, so I don't know if I will add drill or not. If it seems to be an issue for dc I probably will. That's one thing I learned well, and dh did not (and he's an engineer! :roll: ) and he really wants to keep that in their lessons. Anyway, I hope that was a bit helpful. I know others will have more advice for you! :D

busybee4

Post by busybee4 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:57 am

Thank you ladies!!! All of your info. has helped out tremendously!!! I think that I'll just add my own drill in a few times a week and then see how it goes from there.

If she doesn't need it then GREAT!! But if she does then I'll just continue.

Thanks again!! This place is WONDERFUL!!! I'd be lost and confused with out your help.
Krissy, wife to a great man for 10 years and busy Mom to
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05
dd '08 watching it all happen...but not doing it very quietly!!
http://www.rubyslippersschool.com