Computer Skills

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
NicoleJ

Computer Skills

Post by NicoleJ » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:40 am

Just a question:

What sort of computer skills are taught through the HOD books? Teaching technology is part of the Australian curriculum, and I know I will need to show my DD learning computer skills as part of this. So, I was wondering if computer skills are naturally covered in the HOD manuals? I know you use the internet for research. Are there any other compuer skills covered?

Thanks! Nicole

cirons

Re: Computer Skills

Post by cirons » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:35 pm

I don't believe it is taught through HOD, or any complete curriculum that I have ever seen. It is easy enough to add a typing program or if you wanted a technology book, you could get one for elementary students through RIC, which is over your way in WA I think?

HTH,

Corrie
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks Corrie,
It's a pain, I actually have to show that we are doing something for 'Technology and Enterprise' which covers quite a broad range of topics/skills. I know HOD has internet usage, and I guess I can just tweak other activities that HOD schedules to include computer usage / other technology skills (digital camera, etc). Do you have to do any T&E where you are?

cirons

Post by cirons » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Hey Nicole,
I am in Victoria which is the only state in Oz that does not require anything. We have a list of what we are supposed to cover, but no accountability or follow up.
You could always have your children do a typing program (there are free ones recently mentioned on the Aussiehomeschool forum), do the internet research, and possibly type up their weekly poem as hands on practice for their typing. I am not sure if they need more than that, but as I mentioned, the RIC ones I am sure would cover what you need.

HTH,
Corrie
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

cirons

Post by cirons » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 pm

An additional though if you need to use other forms of technology are being used is as you mentioned, the digital camera. You could have your dc take pics of their weekly history projects (and/or other pieces they produce) and edit them for scrapbooking or produce an annual online digital album which only costs about $20 to print for evidence of skills learned if you need it. Would be a great keepsake also!
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:49 pm

Corrie, you are AMAZING and I love your idea!!! Thankyou!! Nicole

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:50 am

Just a thought if your daughter takes pictures she could also upload them to the weekly review!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:34 pm

Nicole,

Starting in Preparing, we've used the computer for our research option in the weekly research box. It gives wikipedia as an option to research a topic relating to the history. So, as we started this, I sat with my son and helped him learn to find what was needed online and then use it to skim for the answers to his questions. This is taught step-by-step in the research boxes in Preparing and CtC.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:17 am

Nicole - Great ideas here already! :D One more, you could have your dd do a Shutterfly photobook of her year. This is fun to do, not hard, and would be a neat keepsake of the year. Here is a link to the HOD photobooks, in case you think dd would enjoy this... :D
http://heartofdakotasphotobooks.shutterfly.com/

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:44 am

I didn't post the original question, but I think the shutterfly book is a great idea. I think DD12 is going to do that this year. She has been helping me put together our family scrapbook (we use Creative Memories digital) for the last year or so. It think I'm going to "let her go" with her own school book this year. She can include her siblings pictures and she can just be a one man (or one girl) yearbook staff for our homeschool :wink:
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)