So glad to be back using HOD for my son!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krismoose

So glad to be back using HOD for my son!

Post by krismoose » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:08 am

This week I overheard my ds & dd making "biography bags" for their stuffed animals and dolls, including Woody and Buzz.... In the pool they wanted to know if there were currents and could we make some? They proceeded to test the pool pump's suction with bathtub boats and other floating toys... I *love* that the topics and activities inspire their play! This has been lacking during our past year's "trip around the world". I'm so looking forward to this year!
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

sharonb

Re: So glad to be back using HOD for my son!

Post by sharonb » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:51 am

We are back to HOD (starting in a couple of weeks) and your post made me smile. I know that HOD will inspire the play of my children as well, and I'm looking forward to getting started.

my3sons

Re: So glad to be back using HOD for my son!

Post by my3sons » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Hooray krismoose! I am glad for you as well. :D I was sitting at the table the other day, and the boys were talking about fishing, as they'd just gotten back from a fishing trip with my dh. They were talking about how they didn't catch many fish this time, and Wyatt said, "We should have been like Cleopatra's fishing partner. He had a slave dive down and put a big fish on the line, but Cleopatra was too smart and figured out what he was doing. So, she sent the slave down with a salted, old dried fish, and had him put that on the line. When her partner reeled it up, acting like he was a big fish on the line, she had the last laugh because it was just a dried out one. Her partner knew he was ousted!" He read that a long time ago - 2 years ago in CTC.

Riley said, "Oh, that reminds me of the Indians fishing story! They used to fish at night, with fire and spears. Can you believe that?!?"

"Hey, I remember that one too!" Wyatt said. "Now THAT would be a fishing trip!"

And they had a good laugh together. :D I love how they are united in their learning even though they are doing totally separate guides - HOD does that. It provides the kind of learning everyone can talk about, that spills right on over into life. :D :D :D Thanks for this example krismoose! I'm always trying to explain this facet of HOD and finding I don't do it justice. Your post helps explain it well! :D :D :D Have a great year with your HOD learning, and may it continue to provide learning and tableside conversation for years to come! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie