Netflix suggestions: toddler, K4 LHTH, BHFHG, PHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

Netflix suggestions: toddler, K4 LHTH, BHFHG, PHFHG

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:51 pm

I have found the Liberty's Kids videos which are great! I've also found several new leap frog videos that my younger set just loves! Also things like WordWorld, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Myth Busters, NiHau Ki Lan, and other PBSKids edicational shows. But, I'd like to find more that tie into our studies this fall. Half speed BHFHG and full speed PFHFG. Little almost k'er will be doing LHTH with some other stuff before jumping into LHFHG.

What's some must-see flixs? Instant or DVD only?

Also, you can mention things you'd like to see on Netflix...a whle back I requsted Creatures the Defy Evolution by AiG. By golly....they are newly added! I think they have vol 1,2, and 3!! My kids LOVE these shows. So request away! I'd love to see more conservative, faith and family friendly picks.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

netpea

Re: Netflix suggestions: toddler, K4 LHTH, BHFHG, PHFHG

Post by netpea » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:56 pm

there are some nice documentaries on Netflix. We type in the science subject we were interested, such as Coral Reef and the word documentary and picked one. Same with countries, China documentary yielded Wild China which was fascinating.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:42 am

Perhaps that route could tie in some of our science lessons this year! I'm about to go search for wild china now. Perhaps a good movie rest time this afternoon while it's too hot outside. :)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks Tamara! We love the AiG movies but wouldn't have even thought to look for them on Netflix. They are now in our queue!! I'm sorry I don't have more suggestions to give to you though. I would love to have some more recommendations as well...
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:47 am

I do not know specifically about Netflix, but Nest Family Entertainment has great animated movies of LOTS of topics. The Animated Hero Classics go great with Beyond and Bigger. The age target audience is perfect and they cover lots of the same people. If you go to their site, you could see the list of titles. We don't currently have Netflix, so I'm not sure they are there. But a good many of them are at our library...as well as the Animated Bible Stories. We have been very pleased with any of the NEST videos we have viewed. They have them for all age ranges.
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

cagrits

Post by cagrits » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:11 am

I love to have movies on hand as I suffer from chronic severe migraines and want the girls (8.5 & 11) to be able to pop in something educational that keeps them tided over long enough for my medication to kick in.

We have watched and been able to have follow up on the following:

History
Timeblazers
Time Warp Trio
Liberty's Kids
Little House on the Prarie
American Girl Movies (Molly, Felicity and Kit)
Pocahontas
Prince of Egypt
Joseph King of Dreams

Science
Magic School Bus
Crash Bang Splat
Grossology (focuses on biology and health topics that most adults consider eww-gross)
Beakman's World
Bindi the Jungle Girl
Mythbusters
How Do They Do It
How It's Made

Literature & Language
Word Girl
Hercules
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Gnomeo & Juliet
Avalon High (Contemporary portrayal of King Arthur legend set in high school. I let my11 year old watch this as she is very interested in King arthur and loved it.)

Math
Cyberchase

Also I will use any movie that discusses time or place like Mulan, Anastacia, Ratatouille etc. to launch a mini impromptu geography/history/cooking unit on days when school is just not going to happen and I need something light, fun and easy to get us back on track. We will watch the movie, discuss the movie, look up the location on the map, cook a recipe or go out to eat for a special meal from that location.

Jennifer

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:42 am

Great list, Jennifer! Thanks for sharing. I am going to bookmark this thread :wink:
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:58 am

Ladies,

While there is nothing wrong with the content of this thread, and I'm sure it contains some great DVD suggestions, I'm going to close out the discussion as it really has nothing to do with HOD or our philosophy of education. This is probably a great general board topic, rather than an HOD Board topic. :D

We try as best as possible to stick to specifically helping families with placement and with how to make the HOD guide work for their situation. :D

Blessings,
Carrie